Ankle Liagment Reconstruction (Pls Advice)

Because you don't wanna get hurt like me
GraidenT Boy
Gym? What's that?
Enter the middle number in the list(3): 3
No curling in the: curl rack

Ankle Liagment Reconstruction (Pls Advice)

Post by GraidenT Boy »

hi guys i recently just had my surgery to tighten up my left ankle liagment.

involves harvesting a tendon to tighten the ankle ligaments.
The most common is Christman-Snook procedure which harvests (usually) part of the peroneus brevis tendon and wraps it around the fibula and attaches it. No repair of the ligaments is made. The tendon will provide the support. Reconstructive surgery is more invasive - the incision is bigger. Recovery is a bit longer (a few more weeks non-weight bearing, move from a cast/boot is a few weeks longer) and likely is more painful. After recovery the ankle is tighter and a full range of motion cannot be achieved again. There is less chance of further instability or sprains (in return for less range of motion). From what I read and what my OS told me, Christman-Snook is usually used only if (a) the ligaments are too damaged to do a Brostrom, or (b) the patient is in a profession where increased tightness or stability is needed (e.g. football linemen), (c) the patient is heavy, (d) a prior Brostrom failed.

after i have gone thur my rehab and all it is advisable if i go back to sports? as in weighlifting, powerlifting, running etc... afraid of injuring my ankle again cos its not like the same as before

hermanchauw
Barbells are my friends

Re: Ankle Liagment Reconstruction (Pls Advice)

Post by hermanchauw »

I have some advice for you:

1) Ask your rehab therapist.

2) This is redundant information, but i'll still say it anyway. Take note of the intuitive training protocols:
Rate of perceived effort (varies), technique (>8), discomfort (<3). See if you can do the mentioned skills within the safety limits.