Training related research
galapogos
GM, Team Biceps
Enter the middle number in the list(3): 0
No curling in the: curl rack

Effect of back squat depth on lower body PAP

Post by galapogos »

Effect of back squat depth on lower body post-activation potentiation

Postactivation potentiation (PAP) refers to increased muscular force generation following previous muscular activity. Various studies have used different squat variations as a PAP stimulus; however, different squat depths can have different mechanical and physiological demands that could yield different PAP levels and subsequent performance. The study aimed to compare the effects of the parallel (PS) and quarter (QS) squat on PAP. Twenty seven semi-professional male rugby union players (mean±SD, 18±2 years, 87.2±5.4 kg, 180.7±5.1 cm) performed a countermovement jump (BL-CMJ) followed by a 10-min rest. Subsequently, they performed 3 PS or QS, at each squat's respective 3 repetition maximum load, in a randomised, counterbalanced order. Following a 5-min rest, another CMJ was performed (POST-CMJ). CMJ jump height (JH), peak power (PP), impulse (I), and flight time (FT) were recorded using a contact mat. BL-CMJ and POST-CMJ pairwise comparisons for all variables were conducted for each squat type to examine performance changes. Delta values were compared to examine whether one squat produced better CMJ results. Both squats induced PAP for all the variables (P<0.05), while PS produced better results than QS (P<0.05; JH, 4.6±2 v 3.5±2 cm; I, 15±6 v 12±5 N·s; PP, 285±109 v 215±96 W; FT, 34±23 v 26±11 ms for PS v QS). This is the first study to demonstrate that different squat types can induce PAP and that PS is more beneficial for subsequent CMJ performance compared to QS. It is suggested that the deeper depth of PS, which increases gluteus maximum activation and work produced, is responsible for the increased CMJ performance.