How to test if your fish oil is really pharmaceutical grade

General health & wellness related research
shirl
I love the leg extension machine!
Enter the middle number in the list(3): 0
No curling in the: curl rack

How to test if your fish oil is really pharmaceutical grade

Post by shirl »

According to Barry Sears, to test if your oil is pharmaceutical grade do the following test:

Pour a few teaspoon of the fish oil into a container or cup (if using capsule, break open 2 or 3 capsules).
Put the cup into the freezer for 5 hours.
If the oil remains liquid after that time, it is pharmaceutical grade and not health food grade.
Reason being polyunsaturated fats do not freeze at cold temperatures.

However the test only tell you if the product is fractionated but not if the product has unacceptable level of PCBs or an appropriate AA/EPA ratio.

On another note after reading the Zone Diet, it makes sense. How to go about with this diet is to have a plate and divide it into three quarters. Fill it with 1/4 (palm size) low fat protein (such as fish, chicken or lean beef), the other two quarters with complex carbo such as greens and fruits (preferable berries type, if possible) and a dash of olive oil. Note that protein is low fat not those deep fried or flour coated protein.

As you can see, Zone diet is not about going on just high protein or high carbohydrate. It is kinda balanced and it is to address raising insulin level which is the key to losing weight. Also, need to supplement the diet with enough dosage of pharmaceutical grade omega 3 oil.
http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=Z ... 4&ct=title#

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps

Re: How to test if your fish oil is really pharmaceutical grade

Post by galapogos »

First of all, AFAIK there's no such thing as "pharmaceutical grade" fish oil. It's a marketing term, since there's no governing body that certifies this alleged "grade".

shirl
I love the leg extension machine!

Post by shirl »

galapogos wrote:First of all, AFAIK there's no such thing as "pharmaceutical grade" fish oil. It's a marketing term, since there's no governing body that certifies this alleged "grade".
I really have no idea if there is such thing as pharmaceutical grade but it is worth a try using the oil we have and see if it stays liquid. I am more curious on the Zone diet than the fish oil part. One thing that surprised me on reading the Omega RX Zone by Barry Sears was that single celled organism known as algae had the unique ability to synthesize the fat that was necessary for mental development in our brain. I have read somewhere algae is rich in long chain fatty acid.

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps

Post by galapogos »

You want the best omega3 get krill oil lor.