Sleep more to look awesome

General health & wellness related research
galapogos
GM, Team Biceps
Enter the middle number in the list(3): 0
No curling in the: curl rack

Sleep more to look awesome

Post by galapogos »

Beauty sleep: experimental study on the perceived health and attractiveness of sleep deprived people

Objective
To investigate whether sleep deprived people are perceived as less healthy, less attractive, and more tired than after a normal night’s sleep.

Design
Experimental study.

Setting
Sleep laboratory in Stockholm, Sweden.

Participants
23 healthy, sleep deprived adults (age 18-31) who were photographed and 65 untrained observers (age 18-61) who rated the photographs.

Intervention
Participants were photographed after a normal night’s sleep (eight hours) and after sleep deprivation (31 hours of wakefulness after a night of reduced sleep). The photographs were presented in a randomised order and rated by untrained observers.

Main outcome measure
Difference in observer ratings of perceived health, attractiveness, and tiredness between sleep deprived and well rested participants using a visual analogue scale (100 mm).

Results
Sleep deprived people were rated as less healthy (visual analogue scale scores, mean 63 (SE 2) v 68 (SE 2), P<0.001), more tired (53 (SE 3) v 44 (SE 3), P<0.001), and less attractive (38 (SE 2) v 40 (SE 2), P<0.001) than after a normal night’s sleep. The decrease in rated health was associated with ratings of increased tiredness and decreased attractiveness.

Conclusion
Our findings show that sleep deprived people appear less healthy, less attractive, and more tired compared with when they are well rested. This suggests that humans are sensitive to sleep related facial cues, with potential implications for social and clinical judgments and behaviour. Studies are warranted for understanding how these effects may affect clinical decision making and can add knowledge with direct implications in a medical context.

Guess which one is fresh vs sleep deprived...

Canuck eh
Pro and hardcore

Re: Sleep more to look awesome

Post by Canuck eh »

Can the world handle me being more awesome?

Nevertheless, I need more sleep

xarope
Pro and hardcore

Re: Sleep more to look awesome

Post by xarope »

Just imagine if I slept more than 5-6 hours a day... I'd be too awesome to behold...

ROTFL... look=>behold... get it? umm... ok don't shoot me...