Business Bag Recommendations

The forum that sees the most traffic
Derek
15lb curler

Business Bag Recommendations

Post by Derek »

Looking for something similar to a Tote bag but designed for men. No straps but can be slung over the shoulder or hand carried. Preferably brown or grey as black is too formal for the industry I'm in.

Something like this: (http://deluxemall.com/men-designer-stuf ... oyage.html)

Thanks in advance!
Work Smart, Work Hard, and Kick Ass.

Skinny twig... Time to bulk up!

fishbuff
I'll just hit the stairmaster
Enter the middle number in the list(3): 3
No curling in the: curl rack

Re: Business Bag Recommendations

Post by fishbuff »

any bag will do. it is your knowledge, experience and interpersonal skills that matter.

extras are ... well.. extras.

Derek
15lb curler

Post by Derek »

Image counts, for my generation at least. If you have the skill and aptitude to be a manager but lack the walk, look, and feel of one, do you think you'll get promoted over a colleague who does? Very likely not.

nakorius
Fat Bastard
Enter the middle number in the list(3): 0

Post by nakorius »

Derek wrote:Image counts, for my generation at least. If you have the skill and aptitude to be a manager but lack the walk, look, and feel of one, do you think you'll get promoted over a colleague who does? Very likely not.
Not based on my past experience.

Lack the performance, you go there in a Hugo Boss with a Gucci, you are still going down.

Image definitely counts for presentation and representation of a company if you meet clients and for your own personal grooming.

But if you are talking about walk, look and feel for a promotion, that's pretty far from the truth for most companies and if you are in such a company, you should start looking for another one. There is a good chance that it will wind up eventually.
Nothing posted by this fat bastard should be taken seriously. SOME are for entertainment purposes only.

Derek
15lb curler

Post by Derek »

Obviously you have to be damn good at your job. That is a given. Let's say there's another guy as skilled as you but looks, walks, and talks like a manager. Both of you are damn competent. Who do you think will rise up the corporate ladder at a faster rate?

Image also counts within your company. People compare, and perception is everything.

nakorius
Fat Bastard

Post by nakorius »

Image is a necessary, but not necessarily related to your promotion.

I think it all boils to how much butt-kissing you do, if you are at a tie :oops: WAHAHAHAHAHAH
Last edited by nakorius on Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing posted by this fat bastard should be taken seriously. SOME are for entertainment purposes only.

vicvic
Pro and hardcore

Post by vicvic »

Derek wrote:Obviously you have to be damn good at your job. That is a given. Let's say there's another guy as skilled as you but looks, walks, and talks like a manager. Both of you are damn competent. Who do you think will rise up the corporate ladder at a faster rate?

Image also counts within your company. People compare, and perception is everything.
+1

when you've got substance you've got to package yourself nicely too. humans are superficial.

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps

Post by galapogos »

vicvic wrote: +1

when you've got substance you've got to package yourself nicely too. humans are superficial.
So that's why you wear that gay choker? Packaging yourself to the right crowd I see :mrgreen:

vicvic
Pro and hardcore

Post by vicvic »

i no longer wear that. attracting the wrong crowds. it was an honest mistake :(

h
Pro and hardcore

Post by h »

Derek wrote:Obviously you have to be damn good at your job. That is a given. Let's say there's another guy as skilled as you but looks, walks, and talks like a manager. Both of you are damn competent. Who do you think will rise up the corporate ladder at a faster rate?
the answer is:
the guy who worked on improving his skill.
not the guy who bought the nicer shirt.
(well, not always true)

no offense, it's really none of my concern what you do with your time/money...
but if you're looking to stand out by spending time thinking about what bag to buy...
well, i have no idea what else you do with your time, so I guess I really don't have much to say.
prudens quaestio dimidium scientiae...

Bryan
MD, Team Biceps

Post by Bryan »

h wrote:
the answer is:
(well, not always true)

but if you're looking to stand out by spending time thinking about what bag to buy...
well, i have no idea what else you do with your time, so I guess I really don't have much to say.[/
quote]
Agree with Hiroshi...Just buy some bag which u like n its suitable for the occassion....

My MD is still carrying his old broken worn out satchi bag....

xarope
Pro and hardcore

Post by xarope »

Bryan wrote:
h wrote:
the answer is:
(well, not always true)

well, i have no idea what else you do with your time, so I guess I really don't have much to say.[/
quote]
Agree with Hiroshi...Just buy some bag which u like n its suitable for the occassion....

My MD is still carrying his old broken worn out satchi bag....
+1 to H

what's the old joke about the invoice for getting an experienced mechanic to hit an engine with a hammer?
$1000=$1 for the hammer hit, $999 for the knowledge to know where to hit.

Now, granted, you have to look decent, not sloppy (after all, we do judge a book by it's cover initially), but 30 seconds later you'll know whether that book's worth reading...

xarope
Pro and hardcore

Post by xarope »

As a direct response to Derek, I used to carry a backpack (mountain hardwear enterprise in black) when I travelled a lot; now I carry a samsonite backpack (gift from ex-colleagues) because I don't travel so much now (smaller volume; the MH would just be way too big).

I see other CxOs carrying laptop bags, backpacks, some even use carry-on roller luggage because of the amount of paperwork they have to lug around each time.

Nobody cares whether you carry an LV carryon... (I have a limited edition JLC leather briefcase - another gift; never used it yet). Or perhaps to phrase it another way, those that do care what case you carry, probably aren't the ones you would want to be working with anyway (IMHO, in my job and industry; perhaps if you work in marketing, it would be a different story... *shrug*).

Want to set yourself apart from the others? It's not WHAT you wear or use, its HOW.

Steph_Parker
Pro and hardcore

Post by Steph_Parker »

interesting post.
coming from a girl's point of view... as long as it's (the item) presentable and not sloppy, it's good to go.
it's not about brand (for me) as long as it looks good and I fancy it.
cheapest thrill is....i can get it for a steal.
Beauty may only be skin deep, but lethal is to the bone.

Bryan
MD, Team Biceps

Post by Bryan »

i juz carry my laptop bag and go to meetings....cos wad they very concern is what i am gonna show them with my laptop and not what bag i gonna show them.....

h
Pro and hardcore

Post by h »

...having said what i've said... i have no problem with any brand items.

i think herman made a thread about dress shoes, and i recommended to spend good money on them. but the reason was that they will last (a lot) longer. (so in the long run, i think they are cheaper). i don't dress well (I have discovered mirrors, and unfortunately they don't lie), but i'm not exactly walking around in rags either...

if i had any problem, it's probably people who buy something just because it's a particular brand...

if you like the bag, for... how should i call it... it's bag-ness? then, i don't see anything wrong with buying it.
i just don't think it leads to any promotion, though.
prudens quaestio dimidium scientiae...

peter
I smith quarter squat 5 plates a side!

Post by peter »

Derek you could try hunting around the various department stores, they carry decent ranges of bags, covering most budgets as well. You're working in the marketing or communications industry right?

nakorius
Fat Bastard

Post by nakorius »

The only thing I do associate with the bag that a person is carrying to a meeting from time to time... is the person's pay scale :X

I mean... no point having only a pay of maybe... $1.8k... hold the position of an executive and carrying a LV?

At the end of the day... the bag really does not get anyone a promotion and perhaps only make the retailer richer :P

I think everyone has shared their views, it is your money, you decide what you want to do with it.

lips
CEO, Team Biceps

Post by lips »

a bit ot here, but Derek didn't ask for a branded bag yo.

I got a brown bag with very subtle brandtag (99% cannot see) at wallet inc/shop. $110. A birthday present.

I got another bag at bugis street at $25, bargain to $22. hahah

Go bugis street, a lot of things 1.
Score Fitness with Kevin.
http://kevinchia.sg/

Derek
15lb curler

Post by Derek »

Why do most of you immediately assume that I'm looking for branded stuff? That wasn't stated in the original post, was it? It is quite odd. All I asked for was a decent looking and functional bag that would enable me to carry my stuff (which is a lot) to and from work. The brand doesn't matter so long as it looks functional enough.

Unless, if by the term 'business bag', a branded good comes to mind, then perhaps I'm not the one who is myopic.

Regardless of whether a bag is branded or not, image does count. I never see my MD in anything less than a sweater, shirt and pants. The more senior the management, the better dressed they appear to be. Image helps to sell to an extent - this coming from a HR consultant with over 20 years of experience. I place my trust in her words.
h wrote:
the answer is:
(well, not always true)

well, i have no idea what else you do with your time, so I guess I really don't have much to say.
I spent about two minutes today thinking about a bag.

I'd like to think that every little bit helps. The little things do matter as I've learnt over time.

Don't be silly, in my industry nobody gives much of a hoot what you're carrying or wearing unless you're going to a party. I wear jeans and shirts for presentations and meetings and nobody has bothered to balk.
peter wrote:Derek you could try hunting around the various department stores, they carry decent ranges of bags, covering most budgets as well. You're working in the marketing or communications industry right?
Do you know what's the budget like? I'm looking to spend $100 to $200 max.

Yup am in the media industry.
lips wrote:a bit ot here, but Derek didn't ask for a branded bag yo.

I got a brown bag with very subtle brandtag (99% cannot see) at wallet inc/shop. $110. A birthday present.

I got another bag at bugis street at $25, bargain to $22. hahah

Go bugis street, a lot of things 1.
Thanks for the info. How big is the wallet shop bag? I'm looking to carry a lot of stuff around regularly. Don't mind if it's a tote bag.

Bryan
MD, Team Biceps

Post by Bryan »

project shop....quite nice bags...i knw they have it at paragon

peter
I smith quarter squat 5 plates a side!

Post by peter »

Prices at those department stores range from $40 up to several hundreds, you should be able to find something suitable if you check out the major names and aren't too picky on the little details. I'm not familiar with the brands though so I can't point out which ones would better suit your budget, you'll need to do some browsing. :wink:

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps

Post by galapogos »

Well, perhaps time would be better spent working on those marketing assignments instead of trying to outsource them, while looking for weed suppliers and nice bags...

xarope
Pro and hardcore

Post by xarope »

there's a whole industry out there for your picking, e.g. http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/clot ... cases.aspx

Derek
15lb curler

Post by Derek »

xarope wrote:there's a whole industry out there for your picking, e.g. http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/clot ... cases.aspx
Wow thanks this is great.
galapogos wrote:Well, perhaps time would be better spent working on those marketing assignments instead of trying to outsource them, while looking for weed suppliers and nice bags...
It would be nice to be able to work on all of them, but I don't have enough time to do so.

Funny you mentioned the weed, I've forgotten completely about it.