Extreme KB swing

Any strength & power related training topic (powerlifting, strongman, olympic lifts, etc)
galapogos
GM, Team Biceps
Enter the middle number in the list(3): 0
No curling in the: curl rack

Extreme KB swing

Post by galapogos »

Keith might wanna try this one...

Jordon
Pro and hardcore

Re: Extreme KB swing

Post by Jordon »

looks interesting. hahaha funny sio!

Canuck eh
Pro and hardcore

Post by Canuck eh »

Funny how he talks about power and power generation when he doesn't even demo respectable ROM on the swing...

Not sure how I would incorporate this besides the fact that Elliott's bands offer too much resistance. My thinking is that chains and bands offer progressive loading for exercises where you may have sticking points.

The swing on the other hand, doesn't really have one that I can see. You either generate sufficient power, or you don't. Perhaps if I was at the point where my 24 isn't doing anything for me anymore.

But imagine if you got tired and the KB was coming back faster than you could control it and what in the past was only accelerated by gravity, now includes the potential energy in the band that is being converted... :vom:

h
Pro and hardcore

Post by h »

anyone tried this?
on the 2nd rep, would it be harder at the top or the bottom (where the direction of the movement changes)
prudens quaestio dimidium scientiae...

Weib
Pro and hardcore

Post by Weib »

looks like stuff he got off westside and dieselcrew
Working "hard," or the perception of working hard, doesn't really mean anything. Sweating, vomiting, and breathing hard could be a good workout or a tropical disease kicking in.-Dan John

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps

Post by galapogos »

h wrote:anyone tried this?
on the 2nd rep, would it be harder at the top or the bottom (where the direction of the movement changes)
Haven't tried it, but seems like it would be harder at the top, since that's when the band is stretched out and applies the most force. I think the point of this is to make the tempo faster since you don't just have gravity working its magic on the KB on the way down.

h
Pro and hardcore

Post by h »

yea, well... i was wondering cuz, when you do band gm, it's not really hard at the top... although the band is stretched the most.

so, i thought maybe it's actually harder at the bottom to generate enough power/momentum to get the shit all the way to the top.
(especially from 2nd rep, i think, since the movement needs to be reversed).

but it was just a question that came to my mind. didn't really think about gravity, etc.

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps

Post by galapogos »

h wrote:yea, well... i was wondering cuz, when you do band gm, it's not really hard at the top... although the band is stretched the most.

so, i thought maybe it's actually harder at the bottom to generate enough power/momentum to get the shit all the way to the top.
(especially from 2nd rep, i think, since the movement needs to be reversed).

but it was just a question that came to my mind. didn't really think about gravity, etc.
Well you probably have to generate more power to reach the top now, with the added resistance. There is a difference between a GM and a KBS though. The KBS is an explosive movement that cannot be done slow, the power is generated from the start until full extension of the hips, and the arms just follow through to the top. As for the GM, same thing happens, except the movement stops once hip extension is completed(no extra arm movement). Not to mention that most people are stronger at hip extension the more upright they are - which is why rack pulls and quarter squats are easier than dead lifts and full squats.

Given this, it looks like you do need to generate more force from the start of the movement, and also an additional shoulder/arm component at the end of the swing to counter the sudden deceleration forces(much like OHS, except in the other direction).

Will try it tonight with my 10/40mm bands and see if it fits the hypothesis.

h
Pro and hardcore

Post by h »

if you let go at the bottom, would it fly off?
there just may be a good youtube video there.

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps

Post by galapogos »

There's little to no resistance at the bottom, so it should be similar there to a regular KBS.

Sufian
Pro and hardcore

Post by Sufian »

thanks for this. Will try it in my cardio routine.
"the more u sweat in training, the less u bleed in battle"
Click below for free tabata timer...
http://www.speedbagforum.com/timer

KEVIN LIM
Mr T

Post by KEVIN LIM »

Just a thought, if he wants to generate more power, why don't just use a heavy KB or increase ROM or work both the concentric and ecentric phase i.e actively pull the KB back to the start position from the top of the motion to increase power output and cycle time???
Constant Variant, Functional Movements executed at high intensity eliciting in an increased work capacity across broad time and modal domains........
The sceince is in the Programme, the magic is in the Movements

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps

Post by galapogos »

I think the idea is not just power generation, but increased cadence. The band puts an eccentric portion to the lift where you have to actively resist the band, as opposed to just gravity working on the KB. Probably a good thing if you do Tabatas KB swings or other KB swing only HIIT. However in a typical metcon circuit, probably too much hassle to set up the bands.

aaron
15lb curler

Post by aaron »

i think they're similar to powerbomb swings, save powerbomb swings need a partner.

its when you do a single arm swing, and ur partner pushes down on the bell as hard as he can when the bell is at its highest- your goal will be to explode the bell back out of the hole. its brutally effective too, and i think its better than this due to the ROM involved.

Canuck eh
Pro and hardcore

Post by Canuck eh »

If it's the downward action you're after a la powerbomb swings, I prefer to do slams with medicine balls, but of course, here I no longer have access to medicine balls.