Brian McKenzie interview

Post by galapogos »

http://conditioningresearch.blogspot.co ... rance.html

The comments were very interesting.

xarope
Pro and hardcore

Re: Brian McKenzie interview

Post by xarope »

I agree with the initial comments; a sub 12 hour triathlon is doable regardless of how you train, as long as you put in some degree of consistent training. To get to a sub 10 hour triathlon, on the other hand, requires some serious training, including LSD, intervals/speed work etc.

Consider that a marathoner runs 42km in say 150mins (2 hours 30 mins, a very slow time for an elite marathoner), that's 5.6km in 20 mins, or looking at it the other way round, sub 18mins; and said marathoner can maintain this pace for 7 times longer in distance.

And to put it into further perspective, the top 500 marathoners have run sub 2:10, i.e. they could run a 5km in sub 16mins, 7 times over. Or to put it into singapore perspective, they run a 2.4km in <7.5 mins, and do that 17 more times, with no rest.

How about we ask Kevin or Russell if they consider running 17 rounds of 2.4km with a sub 7.5mins, and no rest, to be LSD? I think they would consider that high intensity too. Hands up anybody in this forum who can even run 1 round of 2.4km in 7.5mins? Not me, my best time was 8mins+change, at my peak. Maybe Sufian?

Don't confuse performance at the elite level, i.e. athletes, competitors, with those who merely participate to complete.

I guess my point is, the top competitors already train with high intensity. CF may be the bees knees when you compare what normal people do at the gym, but that's not saying very much to most of the people in this forum.

P.S. I've read the Mark Twight article, and I wholly agree with it.

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps
Enter the middle number in the list(3): 0
No curling in the: curl rack

Post by galapogos »

I knew you'd have something to say about this :wink:

xarope
Pro and hardcore

Post by xarope »

Well, my comments above notwithstanding, I've always said I'd prefer CF than what the SAF passes as fitness, since they are more "multi-modal", to use the CF catchphrase. That doesn't mean any other form workout won't do either e.g. strongman training, gymjones 300 etc. But there's nothing that approaches the mass commercialization of CF (we can talk all we like about specialized S&C coaches, but they charge $$$).

P.S. We could try Strend sometime:

Strend, 6 exercises, 3min for the first 5, AMRAP:
Bench Press (body weight)
Pull Up (body weight)
Shoulder Press (50% BW)
Chin Up (body weight)
Bar Dip (body weight)
Run 3 miles (~5km) for time

Scoring: STREND Factor = reps divided by run time ((convert seconds into 10ths of a minute).

The Strend website has subs for women.

Here's an idea of results:

Canuck eh
Pro and hardcore

Post by Canuck eh »

That sounds like a good one... can do at E1 on a rainy day, with the only downside being perhaps running on a treadmill to get the miles in, or we can cut out that part. The run tims are impressive considering the cardio demand that the 15 minutes of work prior to that would've demanded.

Then again, there were no lower body movements, so the legs would've been fresh...