Gymjones: Marathon training

Sports specific training topics
xarope
Pro and hardcore

Gymjones: Marathon training

Post by xarope »

http://www.gymjones.com/schedule.php?date=20090418

Always interesting reading, I get exhausted just perusing their workouts.

And I think it's obvious what this comment is targetting:
If one was disingenuously pushing a particular style of training it would be easy to use Nate's example to suggest that, "you can run a marathon PR by doing short duration, high intensity work, and lifting weights in our gym." The truth is that, while Nate took a unique path to this marathon, it was no shortcut.
In context:
SLC Marathon:
Nate = 3hrs 11min
"15min faster than my previous best marathon with about half the run training. I seemed to be very durable to the impact of eccentric contractions, which typically destroys me. This is truly a testament to the work I do at Gym Jones, which in this case has yielded much better results than I have gotten with 'specificity' alone. And, for the doubters, I can say that as a cycling endurance athlete, I have only gotten stronger on the bike while I've incorporated the appropriate complementary gym work into my weekly training."

If one was disingenuously pushing a particular style of training it would be easy to use Nate's example to suggest that, "you can run a marathon PR by doing short duration, high intensity work, and lifting weights in our gym." The truth is that, while Nate took a unique path to this marathon, it was no shortcut. For the last four months he trained 2x/week at Gym Jones, rode a bike or trainer about 10 hours per week, ran 1-2x/week, and did one gym session in his garage each week. His PR was not the result of a secret method, instead he followed the age-old, tried and true method: hard, mindful work. To be sure, he ran less than most would (roughly 18 miles per week). But he developed endurance capacities on the bike, inoculated his legs against abuse in the gym, and stacked this on top of a long history of endurance effort, which includes seven marathons worth of experience. I was not surprised by his speed today. I was however surprised by the lack of damage, and I suspect he will recover quickly over the next few days -- maybe enough to train in the gym on Tuesday. It's not a miracle but it shows (again) that one may reach an objective by several different means.
I stand by my comments mid-last year (or so I think), where I mentioned that I would not be surprised to see a CF endurance, CF strength etc, as CF realises the limitations of it's existing WOD structure and has to start specializing. No foul, though; CF is a newcomer to the S&C scene and hence still has a lot of development to progress before it "stabilizes" (if such a beast exists in the also-young S&C scene!).

Weib
Pro and hardcore
Enter the middle number in the list(3): 0
No curling in the: curl rack

Re: Gymjones: Marathon training

Post by Weib »

Then won't it lose it's plot - GPP/SPP debate etc... which it set out to achieve and start borrowing ideas and reintegrating back into the usual programming/periodization etc..
Working "hard," or the perception of working hard, doesn't really mean anything. Sweating, vomiting, and breathing hard could be a good workout or a tropical disease kicking in.-Dan John

xarope
Pro and hardcore

Post by xarope »

Weib wrote:Then won't it lose it's plot - GPP/SPP debate etc... which it set out to achieve and start borrowing ideas and reintegrating back into the usual programming/periodization etc..
don't understand what you just wrote (I think your hunger pangs are affecting your ability to read, think and t@&e c0he1234y).

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

Louis, are you there? Louis?

:mrgreen:

Weib
Pro and hardcore

Post by Weib »

not really but seriously, if its start specializing then won't it lose it plot?
Working "hard," or the perception of working hard, doesn't really mean anything. Sweating, vomiting, and breathing hard could be a good workout or a tropical disease kicking in.-Dan John

Canuck eh
Pro and hardcore

Post by Canuck eh »

xarope wrote:
Weib wrote:Then won't it lose it's plot - GPP/SPP debate etc... which it set out to achieve and start borrowing ideas and reintegrating back into the usual programming/periodization etc..
don't understand what you just wrote (I think your hunger pangs are affecting your ability to read, think and t@&e c0he1234y).

Louis, are you there? Louis?

:mrgreen:
You're not old enough for Latin to have still been a lanquage that was taught when you were in school...

Twxian
Pro and hardcore

Post by Twxian »

this is all just dummy text

xarope
Pro and hardcore

Post by xarope »

I'm not here to defend CF, but I would say the core principles are there which have been sorely neglected by mainstream for a while, e.g. the running/cycling/swimming crowd, at the expense of strength, flexibility, mobility etc. I've known of cross training ever since I started training, so it's not new, just packaged and marketed differently.

It would be silly to expect CF not to change over time; as with all S&C coaches and institutes, that have changed their training, nutrition, recovery etc protocols over the years.

If nothing else, 300 (the movie)/CF's popularity allows me to describe one of the ways I work out without the bearing the penumbra of being a "weight lifter" or "body builder".

xarope
Pro and hardcore

Post by xarope »

Twxian wrote:this is all just dummy text
the web design guy would pick it up... :D

Weib
Pro and hardcore

Post by Weib »

Just wondering thats all, not attacking nor defending.

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps

Post by galapogos »

Isn't this similar to what the modern SnC guys are doing? Strength training for corrective work/prevent injury?

xarope
Pro and hardcore

Post by xarope »

I think the crux is:
1) 1/2 the volume of running
2) as you mentioned, gym work for the eccentric "innoculation"
3) other forms of endurance training
4) hard work full stop.

Still, the milestone for me is for someone to do "minimal" running and yet run sub 3 hours. I think that can realistically only be achieved by a lot (intentionally vague here) of running training (whether past or present), as you need the efficiency not just "brute" endurance (unless you are Lance Armstrong and have a cadre of pacers to push you on), and to not suffer too much after the fact (unlike Armstrong).

Weib
Pro and hardcore

Post by Weib »

I think we have to note that Gymjones =/= CF - different set of philosophy different objectives.
Mark is borrowing concepts in terms of circuit training from CF but he has imbued other areas of SnC into his practices.

jerry.mobbs
15lb curler

Post by jerry.mobbs »

xarope wrote:I'...........describe one of the ways I work out without the bearing the penumbra of being a "weight lifter" or "body builder".
but your just an old guy wearing a wife beater singlet!

xarope
Pro and hardcore

Post by xarope »

Weib wrote:I think we have to note that Gymjones =/= CF - different set of philosophy different objectives.
Mark is borrowing concepts in terms of circuit training from CF but he has imbued other areas of SnC into his practices.
yes, we are well aware of that.

xarope
Pro and hardcore

Post by xarope »

jerry.mobbs wrote:
xarope wrote:I'...........describe one of the ways I work out without the bearing the penumbra of being a "weight lifter" or "body builder".
but your just an old guy wearing a wife beater singlet!
Thanks, old man.

BTW we still getting that free meal from you when you come down? :D

jerry.mobbs
15lb curler

Post by jerry.mobbs »

you guys training next sunday?

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps

Post by galapogos »

We're training on Saturday before the BBQ, but if you're only flying in on Sunday then we could make an exception to kick your ass on Sunday too and drain your wallet at dinner after that :drinkers:

Sufian
Pro and hardcore

Post by Sufian »

How about HELEN??
"the more u sweat in training, the less u bleed in battle"
Click below for free tabata timer...
http://www.speedbagforum.com/timer

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps

Post by galapogos »

wapiang u keep doing helen not sian ah. still saying how come the last few workouts all crossfit ones.

Jordon
Pro and hardcore

Post by Jordon »

HELEN HELEN HELEN HELEN HELEN!

jerry.mobbs
15lb curler

Post by jerry.mobbs »

So Helen 3 pm Sunday?

Where?

You supply the Kettlebells and I'll buy dinner.

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps

Post by galapogos »

3pm? Sure, if you wanna suffer a heatstroke, judging from last weekend's weather till now.

We usually meet at 430 and start officially past 5. TPY Stadium.

jerry.mobbs
15lb curler

Post by jerry.mobbs »

ok

5pm is fine

what / where is TPY?

lat/long?

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps

Post by galapogos »

jerry.mobbs wrote:ok

5pm is fine

what / where is TPY?

lat/long?
http://www.gothere.sg

enter "toa payoh stadium"

if it rains, we go to safra energyone gym next to the stadium. you can see it on the map too.

jerry.mobbs
15lb curler

Post by jerry.mobbs »

i wont be able to make it this time

work calls

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps

Post by galapogos »

won't be able to make it to the workout...or to singapore?

damn, no dinner again, and the wait continues...

jerry.mobbs
15lb curler

Post by jerry.mobbs »

pm me your mobile number

i'll call you in the afternoon if i can make it

i'm so out of shape with this move to bangladesh that even louis can beat me now!

Weib
Pro and hardcore

Post by Weib »

it'll be a shame, i'm eating like bangladeshi migrant living in singapore- literally.

Sufian
Pro and hardcore

Post by Sufian »

Weib wrote:it'll be a shame, i'm eating like bangladeshi migrant living in singapore- literally.
where got... I have a few bangladeshi friends... my younger brother's colleagues. They really dont eat like u lah bro.
"the more u sweat in training, the less u bleed in battle"
Click below for free tabata timer...
http://www.speedbagforum.com/timer

Steph_Parker
Pro and hardcore

Post by Steph_Parker »

Sufian wrote:
Weib wrote:it'll be a shame, i'm eating like bangladeshi migrant living in singapore- literally.
where got... I have a few bangladeshi friends... my younger brother's colleagues. They really dont eat like u lah bro.
if i'm not wrong, they eat alot of rice with alot of curry gravy, no?
Beauty may only be skin deep, but lethal is to the bone.