Headache!?

Because you don't wanna get hurt like me
M.Hunter
Pro and hardcore
Enter the middle number in the list(3): 0
No curling in the: curl rack

Headache!?

Post by M.Hunter »

I dunno where else to post this, so I guess under injury will do.

1.) this is not the first time already, went delta gym just now. Set was like this:

Back squats
Empty bar x10
60kg x 5 x 1
70kg x 4 x 5 (first time in my life squat 70 lol weak)

On the last set, my head started to feel a bit dizzy. After finish liao when I was g onna warm up for my deadlift, my head hurt like fuck, like normal headache but Only more pain. I carried on until the last rep, my mind totally blacked out, but I try to lower the bar slowly. Sat down a while right after that, then recovered a bit.
The headache carried on until I reached home, now just ate heaps of oats then ok liao.

May I know what's the problem with me?

2.) my knees keep moving about slightly throughout the squats, are they too weak to the weights? What can I do to not compromise my increase in weights of squats? Cuz not easy for me to improve, 5kg each week, since I got serious in squats 2 weeks ago.

3.) I do a full squats, when I go all the way down, sometimes when I got no strength anymore I'll stay in that position for a longer period, is that the cause of he headache? Eg nt enuf blood for the brain?

I'm 65kg only btw
Squats can only strengthen, tear or break something. Strengthening, tearing and breaking is totally awesome. Thus squats are awesome.

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps

Re: Headache!?

Post by galapogos »

Are you holding your breathe when lifting? If so for the entire set or rep by rep? While I still recommend holding breathe while lifting heavy(I know Herman will disagree), some have fainted due to doing this.

If this is a regular occurrence get some blood work done if you can, perhaps you are anemic or something, who knows?

M.Hunter
Pro and hardcore

Post by M.Hunter »

hmm this is the 2nd time it happened in abt 2-3 weeks. I'm. It sure if the NS medical check up check for that leh, cox I was a Pes A guy. I thought it was a lack of proper warm up though. When squating up, I'll hold my breath, then before going down, I'll take deep breath, releasing it while I go down. This happen usually.

Anyway still quite happy with my 0.3kg weight gain after a 3weeks plateau.

Oh 1 more qn, is it possible to make our abs look more visible with just weightlifting and diet alone? I'm not those beachboys wannabe cuz I only wanna be strong. But my tummy seems to be getting more and more lean. Just thinking if there's any link.
Squats can only strengthen, tear or break something. Strengthening, tearing and breaking is totally awesome. Thus squats are awesome.

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps

Post by galapogos »

You shouldn't be releasing pressure from your abdomen as you go down. At the bottom when you start your concentric, you'd be needing that tight core, and a loss of pressure isn't going to help. Keep your breathe at least till the eccentric is over. Some advocate "hissing" the air out as you start the concentric. Personally I just brace and hold my breathe the entire rep and reset, except at sticking points where I'll grunt a bit to get past.

As for your abs, if it's working, hey, don't argue with it :)

vicvic
Pro and hardcore

Post by vicvic »

shouldn't you be exhaling when you're exerting? like when you're standing up from the squat then you breath out?

Mr Enigma
Barbells are my friends

Post by Mr Enigma »

Read about valsava maneuver?

Holding your breathe throughout the rep will be possible with light weight. You gonna get light headed, get tunnel vision or black out once you try to do that for heavy weight. What I do is take in a deep breathe before the rep and hold my breathe till the bottom of the squat, and let out as little air as possible without getting dizzy as I squat back up. You can grunt or hiss during the exhale part.. Also, when you breathe in before the rep, expand the abdomen as much as possible and the lungs as well naturally.
Ziklag Fitness http://www.ziklagfitness.com/
Weightlifting blog http://weightliftingsingapore.wordpress.com/
SGWeightlifting http://www.youtube.com/user/SGWeightlifting

The definition of strength: “having the dedication, determination, desire, and discipline to believe and become.”

M.Hunter
Pro and hardcore

Post by M.Hunter »

Ahh.. Maybe i never even check my breathing properly when doing coz i was concentrating on my form and my knees. Anyway does anyone else has the problem of knees moving about while squatting? How do i correct it?

So i assume concentric to be when you tense your body big time and eccentric to be releasing and exerting force?

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps

Post by galapogos »

you got it opposite, eccentric is the negative, concentric is the positive.

what's wrong with your knees?

AhBen
15lb curler

Post by AhBen »

Post a video of your squatting.

lips
CEO, Team Biceps

Post by lips »

M.Hunter wrote:Ahh.. Maybe i never even check my breathing properly when doing coz i was concentrating on my form and my knees. Anyway does anyone else has the problem of knees moving about while squatting? How do i correct it?

So i assume concentric to be when you tense your body big time and eccentric to be releasing and exerting force?
moving side to side?

work on glute med activation.
Score Fitness with Kevin.
http://kevinchia.sg/

M.Hunter
Pro and hardcore

Post by M.Hunter »

galapogos wrote:you got it opposite, eccentric is the negative, concentric is the positive.

what's wrong with your knees?
My knees have no injury, nothing. But i cant just seem to make it stay still in the same directions as my toe. The form might be wrong somewhere but i dunno where!
AhBen wrote:Post a video of your squatting.
I'll want to but i always go clubfitt alone and dunno whether they allow me to do that. How bout when i have chance to meet up with u guys and train first then i can show you. Form is really a limiting factor when u're lifting heavy!! Not that i lift very heavy though.. Abt 20kg more to 1.5BW..

lips i'll try looking up on that.

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps

Post by galapogos »

That's pretty heavy. However if your form is way off, then no point going heavier. Don't you train with kc at Delta? Just get him to take a look.

AhBen
15lb curler

Post by AhBen »

M.Hunter wrote: I'll want to but i always go clubfitt alone and dunno whether they allow me to do that. How bout when i have chance to meet up with u guys and train first then i can show you. Form is really a limiting factor when u're lifting heavy!! Not that i lift very heavy though.. Abt 20kg more to 1.5BW..

Actually you can just put your hp cam inside a collar then place it on a bench beside the squat rack there.

Or come to my place next Saturday afternoon and I'll look into it. :wink:

M.Hunter
Pro and hardcore

Post by M.Hunter »

galapogos wrote:That's pretty heavy. However if your form is way off, then no point going heavier. Don't you train with kc at Delta? Just get him to take a look.

Haha not really, only talked to him once and ask him to spot my form on power cleans. Then he recommend me this site. Anyway ben where do u mean by your place? Your house there ah?

AhBen
15lb curler

Post by AhBen »

M.Hunter wrote:
galapogos wrote:
Haha not really, only talked to him once and ask him to spot my form on power cleans. Then he recommend me this site. Anyway ben where do u mean by your place? Your house there ah?
1.5xBW-20kg is around 80kg for you? How many sets/reps you doing for that?

Come do tire then weighted pullups then squats next Sat. We can also look into other exercises such as deadlifts.

M.Hunter
Pro and hardcore

Post by M.Hunter »

AhBen wrote:1.5xBW-20kg is around 80kg for you? How many sets/reps you doing for that?

Come do tire then weighted pullups then squats next Sat. We can also look into other exercises such as deadlifts.
Ohh ok then. Thanks ah. Anyway tires kinda scare me lol. My max deadlift only about 100kg but your tires like 200++++?

AhBen
15lb curler

Post by AhBen »

M.Hunter wrote:
Ohh ok then. Thanks ah. Anyway tires kinda scare me lol. My max deadlift only about 100kg but your tires like 200++++?
Dont worry,its not asking you to DL a 200+kg tire.We have a new tire which is very suitable for beginners.

M.Hunter
Pro and hardcore

Post by M.Hunter »

Hmm kk thanks. I'll contact you thru this forum again to confirm if im going. Thanks ah haha :lol:

Sufian
Pro and hardcore

Post by Sufian »

for the time being, what u can do is to force your knees to open up when u are on the rise. Dont let your knees cave in.

And, sit back. Not sit down.
"the more u sweat in training, the less u bleed in battle"
Click below for free tabata timer...
http://www.speedbagforum.com/timer

M.Hunter
Pro and hardcore

Post by M.Hunter »

Yea i always try to prevent my knees from caving in, but sometimes they move outwards. Is it bad when they do that?

AhBen
15lb curler

Post by AhBen »

Last time when I was training under Peter, I had this problem of knees caving in as well.He said this was probably due to weak abductors.He put some tight fitting bands on my knees and made me do BW squats with that.You have to consciously keep your knees out if not the bands will push them towards each other.For deadlifts as well.

Pretty good stuff from Peter. :wink:

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps

Post by galapogos »

M.Hunter wrote:Yea i always try to prevent my knees from caving in, but sometimes they move outwards. Is it bad when they do that?
Excessive adduction/abduction are both back. You want your knees to track your toes. The band probably works though I've never tried it. The way I fixed mine was by integrating single legged work. Once both your legs can fight for themselves, then you won't have 1 overpowering another, and you won't have either knee not being strong enough to track properly, because in single legged squats, you can't "cheat" your way up. Your knees HAVE to track perfectly, otherwise you'll fall.

M.Hunter
Pro and hardcore

Post by M.Hunter »

Both sound good to me, but it's easier for me to try to integrate more single leg stuff like pistols and Bulgarian split squats. No access to any band. Will start tmr after work!

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps

Post by galapogos »

Make sure you start slow. I started with just split squats before progressing to single legged.

M.Hunter
Pro and hardcore

Post by M.Hunter »

I won't start with too much weight cuz even my pistols are barely pass BW. Tmr I do my squats light then go on to BSS.

h
Pro and hardcore

Post by h »

M.Hunter wrote:I dunno where else to post this, so I guess under injury will do.

2.) my knees keep moving about slightly throughout the squats, are they too weak to the weights? What can I do to not compromise my increase in weights of squats? Cuz not easy for me to improve, 5kg each week, since I got serious in squats 2 weeks ago.
while it's got nothing to do with your headache...
it's not easy for anyone to improve any lift at 260kg/year, or 20kg (or so)/month, pace...
prudens quaestio dimidium scientiae...

M.Hunter
Pro and hardcore

Post by M.Hunter »

yea thanks. better not be too overconfidence. cannot get too greedy..stick to 2.5kg each week can liao..

Sufian
Pro and hardcore

Post by Sufian »

just keep on logging, we will keep on checking.
"the more u sweat in training, the less u bleed in battle"
Click below for free tabata timer...
http://www.speedbagforum.com/timer

M.Hunter
Pro and hardcore

Post by M.Hunter »

yea sure. will keep on logging in! :axe: