Simple Biomechanical Principles of Tyre Flipping

Training related research
hematite
I love the leg extension machine!
Enter the middle number in the list(3): 3
No curling in the: curl rack

Simple Biomechanical Principles of Tyre Flipping

Post by hematite »

I thought of doing this long time ago... I am a physics lover...so i thought i might as well put it into practise and let everybody enjoy and learn...

Time to time,i will do others...

Okay lets see what is the initial strength for a noob to have to at least lift off a 250kg tyre...
See attached for the force diagram of the tyre.

This is a simple calculation.

Assumption:
Tyre- 250kg
Length - 2m
heigth - 0.5m
the tyre is uniform

F x 2m = 250kg x 1m
F= 250kg/2
= 125kg

So noobs need to at least be able to deadlift 125kg...

Okay i will go further on the progression of the flip soon...
Attachments
tyre block force diagram.jpg
tyre block force diagram.jpg (25.61 KiB) Viewed 6542 times
If I die, i die fighting!
If I fail, I fail trying!

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps
Enter the middle number in the list(3): 0

Re: Simple Biomechanical Principles of Tyre Flipping

Post by galapogos »

Not as simple as that actually since a tire flip isn't really a deadlift(though many people start trying to lift it like a deadlift...hence they either fail or find it much more difficult than it should be).

hematite

Post by hematite »

yup ...it is definitely not a deadlift kind of movement..but if u look at the force diagram...that is the iniatial force u need to iniatiate...at the point of lift...it takes an upward force of 1250N for it to even lift off.....hence i felt that a noob need to start off with an upward control movement to get the basic strength.

but the tricky part of the tyre flip is to generate enough tangential acceleration for it to comple the turn.....that is is where deadlift is not a good exercise to associate with tyre flipping.....olympic lifts is the one....

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps

Post by galapogos »

Also have to consider ROM and the angle of force.

flamekid
15lb curler

Post by flamekid »

ugh. reminds me of my mechanics test i have in 3weeks time.

Ryan.carpediem
15lb curler

Post by Ryan.carpediem »

hematite wrote:So noobs need to at least be able to deadlift 125kg...
galapogos wrote:Not as simple as that actually since a tire flip isn't really a deadlift(though many people start trying to lift it like a deadlift...hence they either fail or find it much more difficult than it should be).

Wow. thanks for tt diagram Rizal. Looks cool.

Speaking of DL, if I recall correctly I was only doing 100kg 3x3 or thereabouts when I first flipped daisy(250kg). Since I'm so bad at physics, hope you don't mind me asking this question? Theoretically, does it give a mechanical advantage for applying force if the legs are further back in the start position?

hematite

Post by hematite »

Stance 1
Stance 1
Stance 1.jpg (7.33 KiB) Viewed 6431 times
Stance 2
Stance 2
Stane 2.jpg (6.58 KiB) Viewed 6431 times
Stance 3
Stance 3
Stance 3.jpg (6.84 KiB) Viewed 6432 times

hematite

Post by hematite »

Stance 4
Stance 4
Stane 4.jpg (6.16 KiB) Viewed 6432 times

flamekid
15lb curler

Post by flamekid »

resolve the forces?

hematite

Post by hematite »

Ryan, the number of 125kg was dervied with the following assumptions
Tyre- 250kg
Length - 2m
heigth - 0.5m

Daisy may be smaller and lighter...if really want to go to accuracy, we need to get the exact measurement...

anyway..back to your question...

Therotically to start the torque for the tyre, Stane A will be the best but tyre flipping is not all about that...Stance B is the most efficient for the entire tyre flip....
i will explain later...

For now..i just answer your question....

You see, as you put your feet behind, the resultant force will go inline with the ground so you are are actually almost pushing instead of flipping...When you do that, you will need to recruit more biceps and anterior deltoids movement.......so very inefficeint....in addition, your feet contact will be lesser....

Stance A is best to use if you can generate a very high force...which the tyre will be like flipping on it own subsequently..

Stance B is the most efficient as it will set your bodyweight to be ready to lean on it when you get to the subsequence phase...

The reason why lifters have many abrasion on the anterior deltoid is because they might have gone to Stance 3...or even Stance 2..due to the frictions by your anterior deltoids to the tyre ....

.....to get an accurate measurement of the optimum angle each individual should try to achieve base on their body anatomy...need to do a video analysis using Silicon Coach...otherwise...Hope this simple explanation helps

manyu882
Pro and hardcore

Post by manyu882 »

share something with u guys.. the minimum effort to flip a tyre is actually acting the force perpendicular to the pivot... making S as long as possible.. which is the length from the pivot to the opposite corner.
test.JPG
test.JPG (13.24 KiB) Viewed 6409 times
POSB saving account no: 209-06968-7

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps

Post by galapogos »

That's instantaneous force, but assuming the pivot doesn't move, the force curve is well...a curve, so angle will have to change.

In any case, there's no easy way of applying all this theory when you're actually flipping, so it doesn't really help.

hematite

Post by hematite »

tyre flipping is my weakest event..this have made me to go deeper in understanding the physics of flipping......

the key is doing efficient flipping is to be explosive right from the start of flip.......this is because as the tyre is turning ( going higher in height) it will acquire a higher retarding rotational potential energy...which will slow down the movement of the tyre if you keep your force constant.....

the angular acceleration is the key ....so the lift need to be explosive.....best if you can acquire enough to allow the tyre to achieve an angle where it will be able to stand on itself.....center of mass and center of gravity to be almost in line...this will make the tyre go to a standing position by itself even you let go of your hand...but to be even effiecient...if you can do that with the help of your own bodyweight to lean on it......your hand need to keep in contact most the time with the tyre...the palm switching need to be fast...lastly..as the tyre is falling...dun wait for it to fall...give them a little nudge of push it down even...this will save time...

among the tyre flippers i see...goi, char and derek are the best flippers i see...if you notice all of them...they are not that very strong in terms of muscularity (except derek)...but their key to good flipping is that..they are very efficient and explosive...

one last tip...
if you ever get stuck mid way......put your feet together in line if your foot is one infront and one back....lean forward...then you give the tyre a bit of swing ( to generate the angular acceleration from swinging)...then you finish it off...

if you are stuck at the top end...you exhale out and you RUN forward...your running actually give the tire acceleration under the law of momentum of collision...

okay hope this helps...
Last edited by hematite on Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ryan.carpediem
15lb curler

Post by Ryan.carpediem »

hematite wrote: Therotically to start the torque for the tyre, Stane A will be the best but tyre flipping is not all about that...Stance B is the most efficient for the entire tyre flip....
i will explain later...

For now..i just answer your question....

You see, as you put your feet behind, the resultant force will go inline with the ground so you are are actually almost pushing instead of flipping...When you do that, you will need to recruit more biceps and anterior deltoids movement.......so very inefficeint....in addition, your feet contact will be lesser....

Stance A is best to use if you can generate a very high force...which the tyre will be like flipping on it own subsequently..

Stance B is the most efficient as it will set your bodyweight to be ready to lean on it when you get to the subsequence phase...
Thanks a lot Rizal! Haha I think I'll just focus on getting my basic front squat/DL strength up for now. Wll try to apply this the next time i flip a tire.