The effects of intensity/duration of warmup on leg press 1RM

Training related research
galapogos
GM, Team Biceps
Enter the middle number in the list(3): 0
No curling in the: curl rack

The effects of intensity/duration of warmup on leg press 1RM

Post by galapogos »

The effects of different intensities and durations of the general warm-up on leg-press 1RM

Some vindication for my 30-45min warmups :mrgreen:

ABSTRACT: The precision of maximum strength assessments (1RM) is important to evaluate the functional capacity and to prescribe and to monitor the training load. Several factors can affect the precision of 1RM tests, including the warm-up procedure. General and specific warm-up routines are recommended in order to enhance performance. The effects of a specific warm-up have already been acknowledged in improving performance. However, the effects of a general warm-up are unclear but seem to depend on its ability to increase muscle temperature while avoiding fatigue. Further, temperature elevation is dependent on both the duration and the intensity of the activity, which may eventually affect 1RM performance. The objective of this study was to investigate the effect of different intensities and durations of general warm-up on 1RM performance. Sixteen strength-trained males were tested for 1RM leg-press after four general warm-up conditions following specific warm-up: short-duration low-intensity (i.e. 5 minutes at 40% VO2max) (SDLI), long-duration low-intensity (i.e. 15 minutes at 40% VO2max) (LDLI), short-duration moderate-intensity (i.e. 5 minutes at 70% VO2max) (SDMI), long-duration moderate-intensity (i.e. 15 minutes at 70% VO2max) (LDMI), and the control (CTRL) no-general warm-up condition. Leg press 1RM values were higher (on average 3%) when subjects performed LDLI (367.8 ± 70.1 kg; p=0.01), compared to the other four conditions. Following the LDMI condition, 1RM values were lower (on average -4%) than in the other four conditions (345.6 ± 70.5 kg; p=0.01). There were no differences between SDMI, SDLI, and CTRL (359.4 ± 69.2 kg, 359.1 ± 69.3 kg, and 359.4 ± 70.4 kg, respectively) (p=0.99). According to our results long-duration low-intensity general warm up seems be appropriately to improve 1RM performance in strength-trained individuals.