Effects of late night exercise on sleep quality

Training related research
galapogos
GM, Team Biceps
Enter the middle number in the list(3): 0
No curling in the: curl rack

Effects of late night exercise on sleep quality

Post by galapogos »

Effects of vigorous late-night exercise on sleep quality and cardiac autonomic activity

Sleep is the most important period for recovery from daily load. Regular physical activity enhances overall sleep quality, but the effects of acute exercise on sleep are not well defined. In sleep hygiene recommendations, intensive exercising is not suggested within the last 3 h before bed time, but this recommendation has not been adequately tested experimentally. Therefore, the effects of vigorous late-night exercise on sleep were examined by measuring polysomnographic, actigraphic and subjective sleep quality, as well as cardiac autonomic activity. Eleven (seven men, four women) physically fit young adults (VO(2max) 54±8 mL·kg(-1)·min(-1) , age 26±3 years) were monitored in a sleep laboratory twice in a counterbalanced order: (1) after vigorous late-night exercise; and (2) after a control day without exercise. The incremental cycle ergometer exercise until voluntary exhaustion started at 21:00±00:28 hours, lasted for 35±3 min, and ended 2:13±00:19 hours before bed time. The proportion of non-rapid eye movement sleep was greater after the exercise day than the control day (P<0.01), while no differences were seen in actigraphic or subjective sleep quality. During the whole sleep, no differences were found in heart rate (HR) variability, whereas HR was higher after the exercise day than the control day (54±7 versus 51±7, P<0.01), and especially during the first three sleeping hours. The results indicate that vigorous late-night exercise does not disturb sleep quality. However, it may have effects on cardiac autonomic control of heart during the first sleeping hours.

Image Image

Canuck eh
Pro and hardcore

Re: Effects of late night exercise on sleep quality

Post by Canuck eh »

Interesting to see how I do on training and non-training days as I tend to train about 2-3hrs before sleep after I get E down now...

Does the full study go on to indicate what the implications are of elevated HR on general health?

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps
Enter the middle number in the list(3): 0
No curling in the: curl rack

Post by galapogos »

Lastly, the researchers discovered that during the first three hours of sleep on the exercise day the subjects' heart rate was significantly higher. The figure above shows this. The researchers are not sure whether this means that the body recuperates less well during sleep. But, they admit, we don’t have sufficient scientific knowledge to be able to say anything about this.

xarope
Pro and hardcore

Post by xarope »

Back in OZ I used to gym/MMA train from 7-10pm, had dinner at 10+ and went to be around midnight; didn't have problems sleeping. I was much younger then, but I was also doing that 5 days a week, with weekends full of daylight activity (rock climbing, MTBing, long distance cycling etc).

Oh wait, now I understand the problem's I'm having today... :P