galapogos
GM, Team Biceps
Enter the middle number in the list(3): 0
No curling in the: curl rack

Fast eating and the risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus

Post by galapogos »

Fast eating and the risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus: a case-control study

BACKGROUND & AIM:
The aim of the study was to assess the relationship between eating speed and the risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus.

SUBJECTS AND METHODS:
A case-control study included 234 cases with newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes and 468 non diabetic controls. A specifically designed questionnaire was used to collect information on possible risk factors of type 2 diabetes. The speed of eating was self-reported by study subjects compared to other subjects, with whom they were eating at the same table. The odds ratios (OR), and 95% confidence intervals (95% CI) for type 2 diabetes were calculated by a conditional logistic regression.

RESULTS:
Variables such as a family history on diabetes, body mass index, waist circumference, educational level, morning exercise, smoking and plasma triglycerides level were retained in multivariate logistic regression models as confounders because their inclusion changed the value of the OR by more than 5% in any exposure category. After adjustment for possible confounders more than two-fold increased risk of type 2 diabetes was determined for subjects eating faster (OR = 2.52; 95% CI 1.56-4.06) vs. subjects eating slower.

CONCLUSIONS:
Our data support a possible relationship between faster eating speed and the increased risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus.

xarope
Pro and hardcore

Re: Fast eating and the risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus

Post by xarope »

this is likely more correlation than causation, i.e. if nothing else, speed of eating is a symptom rather than a cause; aka it's easier to wolf down a big bowl of simple carbs, than to chew and digest complex whole foods (meat/veg etc)

sigh. hope noone in your family has type 2...

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps
Enter the middle number in the list(3): 0
No curling in the: curl rack

Re: Fast eating and the risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus

Post by galapogos »

I eat the slowest in my family, by a mile. I guess I ain't gonna get type 2 anytime soon lol.

Other than your explanation, it's easier to eat a lot when you eat fast. By the time your brain registers that you're full, you've eaten too much, and fat people tend to get type 2 more. Another reason why it's so difficult for me to bulk but so easy for me to lose weight.