Personal Finance Planning

The forum that sees the most traffic
chrislim
I just wanna train my chest and arms

Re: Personal Finance Planning

Post by chrislim »

Tat's a gd question ask Bro.. I always rem my client telling me this, "save 20% of what u have earn and use the rest" No matter wat u do, have to set aside 20% of it...

Derek wrote:How do you plan your personal finances?

Currently using an Excel spreadsheet to project my expenses; getting some cool software from my uncle later. Never really understood the drag of expenditures until this afternoon at work where I wrote down the cost of things.

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps
Enter the middle number in the list(3): 0
No curling in the: curl rack

Post by galapogos »

chrislim wrote:Tat's a gd question ask Bro.. I always rem my client telling me this, "save 20% of what u have earn and use the rest" No matter wat u do, have to set aside 20% of it...
Wah...20% isn't a lot leh, unless you earn a lot. :oops:

Twxian
Pro and hardcore

Post by Twxian »

if 20% is just cash in the bank then its ok mah still got insurance investments and cpf also what

chrislim

Post by chrislim »

Hmm.. to me, i dun earn alot oso, u have to pioritise wat is impt loh..weigh which is a must and which is not.. then u can use the $$$ wisely.. e.g, u buy those tubs of recovery drinks, is it a must? do u really need it? hw long can u sustain on using it? why not drink plain water or Black kopi during training to spike urself?? do within ur means if u can loh, we can't hv everything in the world but we make the best of our own comfort rather then everytime worry u hv overspend and hv to wait very long to get a item that u want...But everyone has a different situation, so can't expect everyone to be the same.. right??

galapogos wrote:
chrislim wrote:Tat's a gd question ask Bro.. I always rem my client telling me this, "save 20% of what u have earn and use the rest" No matter wat u do, have to set aside 20% of it...

chrislim

Post by chrislim »

Hmm.. to me, i dun earn alot oso, u have to pioritise wat is impt loh..weigh which is a must and which is not.. then u can use the $$$ wisely.. e.g, u buy those tubs of recovery drinks, is it a must? do u really need it? hw long can u sustain on using it? why not drink plain water or Black kopi during training to spike urself?? do within ur means if u can loh, we can't hv everything in the world but we make the best of our own comfort rather then everytime worry u hv overspend and hv to wait very long to get a item that u want...But everyone has a different situation, so can't expect everyone to be the same.. right??

galapogos wrote:

lips
CEO, Team Biceps

Post by lips »

cannot always keep same % as saving, sometime spend, sometime save!

i save maybe 90+ % last year? Set up a small biz and wait for returns. hehe

then nowadays, spend whatever i want to. leisure, eat, clothings, supplement etc.

the rest save. but quite a no of huge buys are coming soon.
Score Fitness with Kevin.
http://kevinchia.sg/

h
Pro and hardcore

Post by h »

chrislim wrote:"save 20% of what u have earn and use the rest" No matter wat u do, have to set aside 20% of it... "
reminds me of the "richest man in babylon"
but i suppose that was 10%.

i suppose another question is "what is the money you 'save' doing"
prudens quaestio dimidium scientiae...

Canuck eh
Pro and hardcore

Post by Canuck eh »

Unfortunately, not much right now.

Contemplating/-ed buying real estate, so left the money sitting there.

Not familiar enough with the local market/too lazy to open an account

Suppose will repatriate some of it?

Jonathan
Resident Man-whore
Resident Man-whore

Post by Jonathan »

chrislim wrote:Hmm.. to me, i dun earn alot oso, u have to pioritise wat is impt loh..weigh which is a must and which is not.. then u can use the $$$ wisely.. e.g, u buy those tubs of recovery drinks, is it a must? do u really need it? hw long can u sustain on using it? why not drink plain water or Black kopi during training to spike urself?? do within ur means if u can loh, we can't hv everything in the world but we make the best of our own comfort rather then everytime worry u hv overspend and hv to wait very long to get a item that u want...But everyone has a different situation, so can't expect everyone to be the same.. right??
I totally agree with you. Can see a few very irritating examples in this forum, not enough money but still want to buy supplements and keep looking for the cheapest protein per pound, fish oil per capsule, bcaa per microgram, etc and then try to sponge on other people. What rubbish. As if you train hard enough to warrant the usage of supplements. I've changed my mind about supplements being useless, now I think people who train for fun don't actually train hard enough to require such supplements. Amateur and professional athletes, entirely different ballgame, if I train 5-6 times a week or twice a day, surely need to eat. Fuck lar, 3-4 times a week, no need lar, unless you tell me those 3-4 times are hours at one shot.

Jonathan
Resident Man-whore
Resident Man-whore

Post by Jonathan »

h wrote:
i suppose another question is "what is the money you 'save' doing"
Frankly I'm quite worried about this too. I'm generally a very good saver, but I've also seen what happens to those who don't use that money to work for them in terms of investments. The money devalues or the bank collaspes and you're screwed. Singapore has been resilient, but I really really want to know how to make better use of saved money rather than just stuffing them in an account. Accumulating reserves isn't my problem, I'm just afraid through no fault of my own every hard earned dollar saved will simply be swept away by forces unknown. But when it comes to investing, I'm just clueless. And I don't like losing money. Yeah yeah, I know in investing you have to bet on many different horses in order to win more than you lose, but still...

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps

Post by galapogos »

Jonathan wrote:
chrislim wrote:Hmm.. to me, i dun earn alot oso, u have to pioritise wat is impt loh..weigh which is a must and which is not.. then u can use the $$$ wisely.. e.g, u buy those tubs of recovery drinks, is it a must? do u really need it? hw long can u sustain on using it? why not drink plain water or Black kopi during training to spike urself?? do within ur means if u can loh, we can't hv everything in the world but we make the best of our own comfort rather then everytime worry u hv overspend and hv to wait very long to get a item that u want...But everyone has a different situation, so can't expect everyone to be the same.. right??
I totally agree with you. Can see a few very irritating examples in this forum, not enough money but still want to buy supplements and keep looking for the cheapest protein per pound, fish oil per capsule, bcaa per microgram, etc and then try to sponge on other people. What rubbish. As if you train hard enough to warrant the usage of supplements. I've changed my mind about supplements being useless, now I think people who train for fun don't actually train hard enough to require such supplements. Amateur and professional athletes, entirely different ballgame, if I train 5-6 times a week or twice a day, surely need to eat. Fuck lar, 3-4 times a week, no need lar, unless you tell me those 3-4 times are hours at one shot.
Yeah, this reminds me of a certain someone who had no job and not enough money but still wanted to stuff himself silly with as much food as possible in an attempt to bulk up...keep looking for the cheapest food for the money, and then try to sponge on other people for training. What rubbish hor? :think:

Jonathan
Resident Man-whore
Resident Man-whore

Post by Jonathan »

galapogos wrote:[Yeah, this reminds me of a certain someone who had no job and not enough money but still wanted to stuff himself silly with as much food as possible in an attempt to bulk up...keep looking for the cheapest food for the money, and then try to sponge on other people for training. What rubbish hor? :think:
Yeah lor who ah? :think:

Ryan.carpediem
15lb curler

Post by Ryan.carpediem »

galapogos wrote:
Jonathan wrote:
Yeah, this reminds me of a certain someone who had no job and not enough money but still wanted to stuff himself silly with as much food as possible in an attempt to bulk up...keep looking for the cheapest food for the money, and then try to sponge on other people for training. What rubbish hor? :think:
Guys, if this is referring to me, and I hope whoever is, will clarify this; then I have a few things to say.

First of all, i want to apologize to those who really think that i have been sponging off them. As far as I can remember, that includes Jonathan Boey for the liquid chalk i used last year while training with the behemoths.

secondly, If I owe you any one of you any money, or if you think I should pay you back for the advice/chalk/equipment that I have borrowed,let me know. I'll try to pay you back as soon as possible. \

However, I honestly do not recall how, if ever, I have been sponging on other people for training. if so, please point this out to me and I will be the first to apologize if this is really the case.

EDIT: you guys have my word that if it's genuinely something i need to improve on or a mistake I've made, i'll not repeat it.
I hope this will not affect my friendships

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps

Post by galapogos »

Ryan.carpediem wrote:bunch of stuff
not u lah, mai come and emo please. ish a certain someone who was bulking. you bulking meh?

Canuck eh
Pro and hardcore

Post by Canuck eh »

Where people haven't indicated that they were expecting money for use of x, y, z or or borrowing a, b, c, that's not what people are referring to.

No, for you there's the recent barbeque where you did have a lot of empty calories despite indicating low/no funds and wasn't going to eat... Then again, KC owes me as well still. I forgot to collect from him the other day when I saw him at Botak Jones, but I haven't seen you since, so there's that little matter to settle next time I see you.

Financial planning is largely an exercise in discipline in order to spend and save prudently. Making your savings work for you would be the other part...

Jonathan
Resident Man-whore
Resident Man-whore

Post by Jonathan »

Ryan.carpediem wrote:
Guys, if this is referring to me, and I hope whoever is, will clarify this; then I have a few things to say.

First of all, i want to apologize to those who really think that i have been sponging off them. As far as I can remember, that includes Jonathan Boey for the liquid chalk i used last year while training with the behemoths.

secondly, If I owe you any one of you any money, or if you think I should pay you back for the advice/chalk/equipment that I have borrowed,let me know. I'll try to pay you back as soon as possible. \

However, I honestly do not recall how, if ever, I have been sponging on other people for training. if so, please point this out to me and I will be the first to apologize if this is really the case.

EDIT: you guys have my word that if it's genuinely something i need to improve on or a mistake I've made, i'll not repeat it.
I hope this will not affect my friendships
Relax, I already know who the snake is. Want to say people can't even get his facts right. Typical Singaporean. :roll:

lips
CEO, Team Biceps

Post by lips »

aiyo Ryan, if anyone wanna suan anyone, they will never target you 1. trust me in this.

as for who is this person, yar ah, who the fuck is this person? blacklist!
Score Fitness with Kevin.
http://kevinchia.sg/

Derek
15lb curler

Post by Derek »

Eh can someone PM me who this person is? I really have no idea...
Work Smart, Work Hard, and Kick Ass.

Skinny twig... Time to bulk up!

Weib
Pro and hardcore

Post by Weib »

sounds like jordan LOL, always complain no money hahaha
Working "hard," or the perception of working hard, doesn't really mean anything. Sweating, vomiting, and breathing hard could be a good workout or a tropical disease kicking in.-Dan John

Jordon
Pro and hardcore

Post by Jordon »

huhhhh : ( really ah : (

aaron
15lb curler

Post by aaron »

but honestly as students we really dont have much money what, even considering the fact that both jordon and i both work part time, im spending close to like 30-40 a week on public transport lol :(

kacie
Pro and hardcore

Post by kacie »

Canuck eh wrote:Where people haven't indicated that they were expecting money for use of x, y, z or or borrowing a, b, c, that's not what people are referring to.

No, for you there's the recent barbeque where you did have a lot of empty calories despite indicating low/no funds and wasn't going to eat... Then again, KC owes me as well still. I forgot to collect from him the other day when I saw him at Botak Jones, but I haven't seen you since, so there's that little matter to settle next time I see you.

Financial planning is largely an exercise in discipline in order to spend and save prudently. Making your savings work for you would be the other part...
oh shits, im so sorry. :p

do you use posb bank or smth? pm me the ac number pls.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.—Thomas A. Edison

Toil to make yourself remarkable by some talent or other.—Seneca

Canuck eh
Pro and hardcore

Post by Canuck eh »

no worries, next time I see you.

peter
I smith quarter squat 5 plates a side!
Enter the middle number in the list(3): 3

Post by peter »

aaron wrote:but honestly as students we really dont have much money what, even considering the fact that both jordon and i both work part time, im spending close to like 30-40 a week on public transport lol :(
cant you get student concessions in that case?

M.Hunter
Pro and hardcore

Post by M.Hunter »

Derek wrote:Eh can someone PM me who this person is? I really have no idea...
ehh ya.. me too..
Squats can only strengthen, tear or break something. Strengthening, tearing and breaking is totally awesome. Thus squats are awesome.

kacie
Pro and hardcore

Post by kacie »

Canuck eh wrote:no worries, next time I see you.
thanks dude.

yeah, student concession is smth you guys should consider.
if you're gonna say you haven't heard of it, you're both pissheads.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.—Thomas A. Edison

Jordon
Pro and hardcore

Post by Jordon »

im using that

kacie
Pro and hardcore

Post by kacie »

Jordon wrote:im using that
so why dont you have enough cash? how much do you get for allowance?

Jordon
Pro and hardcore

Post by Jordon »

10/day lo

keithzhoulw
I smith quarter squat 5 plates a side!
Enter the middle number in the list(3): 3

Post by keithzhoulw »

talking about transport , can see a bit part of my salery goes to this ..it be taxi train bus or drive.
New website http://www.thesupplementboutique.com - Supplement will not burn a hole in your pocket again

i-herb code discount code : LIH793 ( US$5 off any purchase )