Sports@SG

The forum that sees the most traffic
galapogos
GM, Team Biceps
Enter the middle number in the list(3): 0
No curling in the: curl rack

Sports@SG

Post by galapogos »

Caught a glimpse of this program before 8 while at the gym today. They were showing some guy swinging a yellow kettlebell. But I don't recognize the people...

Where's Herman?

hermanchauw
Barbells are my friends

Re: Sports@SG

Post by hermanchauw »

What's up?

How to get the media to notice Singapore Kettlebell Club? Have sent out several emails to various organisations without reply. :( Maybe need a marketing executive?

Derek
15lb curler

Post by Derek »

Can I market for you? Gives me an opportunity to practice.
Work Smart, Work Hard, and Kick Ass.

Skinny twig... Time to bulk up!

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps

Post by galapogos »

No I was just wondering how come kettlebells were being shown on TV and you weren't part of it...

hermanchauw
Barbells are my friends

Post by hermanchauw »

Derek wrote:Can I market for you? Gives me an opportunity to practice.
Serious boh? If yes, drop me an email at singaporekettlebellclub@gmail.com and we can meet up to discuss.
galapogos wrote:No I was just wondering how come kettlebells were being shown on TV and you weren't part of it...
Because i am not big, tall and strong. "What business has a skinny guy lifting iron?" Let alone teach. :roll:

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps

Post by galapogos »

Since when was big/tall/strong fashionable in Singapore? Most trainers are skinny what, since the focus on "fitness" is supposedly endurance events, and the important thing to have here are paper certs. GS is an endurance event, and you have RKC, CST, OPTS and IKF certs, so you fit the bill perfectly!

hermanchauw
Barbells are my friends

Post by hermanchauw »

Hahaha. Not what gyms think.

There are gym managers telling me to put on mass.

There are gym managers telling me that they only accept FIC. :roll:

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps

Post by galapogos »

Well.....

Maybe you should gain some mass then! Steve Cotter & Pavel are also not that skinny :P

manyu882
Pro and hardcore

Post by manyu882 »

galapogos wrote:Well.....

Maybe you should gain some mass then! Steve Cotter & Pavel are also not that skinny :P

agree ahah.. get some MASS!!!
POSB saving account no: 209-06968-7

hermanchauw
Barbells are my friends

Post by hermanchauw »

Nah.

Take a look at these guys records:

Valentin Egorov: http://kettlebellfitnessdk.wordpress.co ... in-egorov/

Lopatin: http://girevoysportafter40.blogspot.com ... rance.html

Puts all of us to shame.

Derek
15lb curler

Post by Derek »

hermanchauw wrote:
Derek wrote:Can I market for you? Gives me an opportunity to practice.
Serious boh? If yes, drop me an email at singaporekettlebellclub@gmail.com and we can meet up to discuss.
galapogos wrote:No I was just wondering how come kettlebells were being shown on TV and you weren't part of it...
Because i am not big, tall and strong. "What business has a skinny guy lifting iron?" Let alone teach. :roll:
Of course duh. Okay will mail you later.
Work Smart, Work Hard, and Kick Ass.

Skinny twig... Time to bulk up!

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps

Post by galapogos »

hermanchauw wrote:Nah.

Take a look at these guys records:

Valentin Egorov: http://kettlebellfitnessdk.wordpress.co ... in-egorov/

Lopatin: http://girevoysportafter40.blogspot.com ... rance.html

Puts all of us to shame.
So they are better than Pavel, Mahler & Cotter?

aaron
15lb curler

Post by aaron »

lol sometimes its not records that matter brother, appearances sell; thats obvious in the real world we live in. Sucks, but very true. Its like how goi and the rest of us have been telling louis to get in shape because if he doesnt look the part, its hard to convince others- what right do you have to tell people how to lose weight if you're fat and overweight yourself? Sorry louis for dragging you in, might not bad the best analogy but i havent had much slp and its probably the best i cld come up with lol. jmo though

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps

Post by galapogos »

Let me help the man reply with my Automated Louis Ling Reply Generator(ALLRG)...

Pick a number between 1-3...

1. Shut up Fool!
2. Y So Srs lol?
3. Fat, thin, strong, weak...it's just semantics lol

:mrgreen:

aaron
15lb curler

Post by aaron »

hahahaha nice one goi. havent seen you and the rest in some time zz, hopefully will catch you guys this sunday :supz:

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps

Post by galapogos »

What's up this Sunday?

aaron
15lb curler

Post by aaron »

ah? arent yall heading down to jjc to flip some tires or sth? ive no idea lolol i heard from manyu only, and since i need collect sth from manyu, and will be going night safari with gf after that, thought i would head down to train abit haha

Weib
Pro and hardcore

Post by Weib »

aww trollbait.

Mary chia got listed go figure =)
Working "hard," or the perception of working hard, doesn't really mean anything. Sweating, vomiting, and breathing hard could be a good workout or a tropical disease kicking in.-Dan John

Twxian
Pro and hardcore

Post by Twxian »

time for keith to invest in mary chia :P

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps

Post by galapogos »

Weib wrote:aww trollbait.
Damn! I forgot #4. Shall add it to the list for next time...
Twxian wrote:time for keith to invest in mary chia :P
I thought he wanted Marie France?

Canuck eh
Pro and hardcore

Post by Canuck eh »

you should also add #5 when all else fails, laugh it off/I'm trying to increase my knowledge/it's an [uncontrolled] experiment/my interests lie in x and not y right now.

Mary Chia or France, it doesn't matter to me much I think as long as there's enough idiots in Asia (and judging from how things are in HK and here, there's plenty to go round) that believe there are easy ways out, it may be a worthy investment.

Time to open a trading account here and do some due diligence?

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps

Post by galapogos »

That's #5-8 right there. Comedic gold :)

Weib
Pro and hardcore

Post by Weib »

its simple -
Give them what they want, know your demographics and market towards their expectation.

Forcing them with your ideals is doom to fail - work with what you got instead of me against the world mentality.

People who find value and can afford your service don't give a shit how you look, people who don't and don't find value will continue to bitch about it plus nitpick about everything else.
If you're so insecure about what people think about you and want to invest time in yourself to fluff your ego, then might as well quit the industry get a job and work on yourself.
Then all natural guys don't need to work anymore because you can't beat the largest meat head at cali. etc, even then there are fat girls in the flesh trade making a killing.

So If you want to make things work then you gotta put in the time to evolve practice and business to even abandoning personal beliefs therefore investment in a certification is not on the same path of personal enrichment.
If they want BEC then give them BEC etc. Don't think of it as a sell out but a way to repackage your service for a profit.

End of the day, novelty is just farce unless you got a huge financial backing to make it work.
Working "hard," or the perception of working hard, doesn't really mean anything. Sweating, vomiting, and breathing hard could be a good workout or a tropical disease kicking in.-Dan John

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps

Post by galapogos »

Weib wrote:its simple -
Give them what they want
Really, it's so simple? Give them what they want? People know what they want, they don't need a trainer to give it to them, they do it extremely well on their own. A look at a typical gym like mine shows what they want to do - endless bicep curls, checking themselves out in the mirror, & gossiping more than training, killing their knees(with knee bands to prove it) on the treadmill, half reps on everything so they can look like they're lifting a lot of weight. So you're saying they'll pay you, and keep paying you, for you to let them continue doing it? To somehow reaffirm that what they're doing is correct? And they'll continue signing up for more sessions to let you continue doing this, even when they aren't getting any leaner, fitter, stronger, healthier, and are instead getting more and more injured and imbalanced? Really? How's that working out for you?

Weib
Pro and hardcore

Post by Weib »

Err, i think you have an axe to grind with some personal grievances. heh

Giving what they want is to redesign your program to meet what they want first - rather than center their goals around your ideals and specialization.
I don't hate the players in this, everyone is in this to make a living - they're doing what they can to earn an honest living; competent or not.

Natural selection will run its due course, if you suck so bad nobody is going to use your services. plain and simple.
If they like it, they'll refer friends to you and you'll grow organically.

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps

Post by galapogos »

Not at all.

However you do have to be specific with what you say. "Give them what they want" could mean anything. It certainly means more of literally give them what they want, rather than being flexible to their goals and commitment level. Of course flexibility is required to a point (you might want them to train 5x a week ideally but they can only manage 2) but some basic principles should never be broken. Otherwise, yes then, you are most definitely a sell out.

h
Pro and hardcore

Post by h »

Weib wrote: People who find value and can afford your service don't give a shit how you look...
this is true... but only if you have a proven track record, and people are aware of it.
basically, if you have to explain to your potential clients who you are and what you do, then you're not there yet.
you won't buy an investment plan from a homeless guy... most people won't hire a fat guy for fat loss, weak guy for strength, slow guy for speed.
Weib wrote: If you're so insecure about what people think about you and want to invest time in yourself to fluff your ego, then might as well quit the industry get a job and work on yourself.
Then all natural guys don't need to work anymore because you can't beat the largest meat head at cali. etc, even then there are fat girls in the flesh trade making a killing.
wtf? did anyone understand this?
Weib wrote: So If you want to make things work then you gotta put in the time to evolve practice and business to even abandoning personal beliefs therefore investment in a certification is not on the same path of personal enrichment.
confusing... i'll just comment on certs.

i don't know much about certificates in fitness industry. i just keep hearing that there are so many crappy ones which you can get as long as you pay money and show up.
so i'll just comment on something i know about:
it's not difficult to get college degrees... you just need to be able to read some books and take some tests... so just having the degree alone doesn't really say much.
the idea of getting a degree is to set yourself up for further development... if the certificate is not opening new doors for you (what you may call personal enrichment)... then why would you take it in the first place?

(just a side note... i've seen resumes where the applicants wrote detailed descriptions of the degree programme they took... that to me signals that they spent more time in bars than library, and had nothing to write and needed some filler... it's better to write about research/paper/etc that you did, of course, you need to be prepared to present them)
Weib wrote: If they want BEC then give them BEC etc. Don't think of it as a sell out but a way to repackage your service for a profit.
this reminds me of a story (it's not a joke)...
an old lady calls her son "I need another MRI"
son: "but you just had one 1 month ago!"
woman: "yea, but i felt so good afterwards"

if you were the doctor, would you authorize another MRI? that's what she wants... and you'll definitely make a profit.
Weib wrote:End of the day, novelty is just farce unless you got a huge financial backing to make it work.
another one that doesn't make any sense, at least to me anyway.
Last edited by h on Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prudens quaestio dimidium scientiae...

Canuck eh
Pro and hardcore

Post by Canuck eh »

don't worry about it h. English may be lingua franca, but at the end of the day, in situations like this, I refer you to canned response #3 (see above)

Weib
Pro and hardcore

Post by Weib »

confusing... i'll just comment on certs.
If you need you need to get the foot into the door, and spend money to get X cert allows you do it - then do it.
even if it sucks its still a means to an end.

courses to educate yourself is another thing altogether - they may be worthless to the public eye but deem useful to you.
It means if you're working more on yourself than working on the product, you might as well not sell the product.
If you have something unique to sell, then you'd better have a good marketing plan. Enough money to blow to market and get enough market response.

h
Pro and hardcore

Post by h »

Weib wrote:
It means if you're working more on yourself than working on the product, you might as well not sell the product.
-deleted-
natural guys and fat girls... actually translate to that?
Weib wrote:
If you have something unique to sell, then you'd better have a good marketing plan. Enough money to blow to market and get enough market response.
you may be somewhat right about having a marketing plan... but definitely not about needing a lot of money to market it.
prudens quaestio dimidium scientiae...