Any current/ex project managers here?

The forum that sees the most traffic
alex
15lb curler
Enter the middle number in the list(3): 0
No curling in the: curl rack

Any current/ex project managers here?

Post by alex »

How do you motivate the guy in the group that expects everything to be told/handed to them instead of having the initiative to go around and ask/see.

I have a very troublesome member that produces crappy and substandard work. Even worse is that, he is very bad at sieving thru irrelevant information and just copies the entire chunk blindly.

He also gives a lot of excuses for his incompetence and even involved his mother in this (wtf you're 18 turning 19). The only time i think that i would involve my parents in stuff is if i need a bailout from lockup(not that i went in before).

Any suggestions?

h
Pro and hardcore

Re: Any current/ex project managers here?

Post by h »

if he is making an effort, you can help him.
but if he just isn't interested in making any effort, then it's waste of your time trying to get him to contribute.

fire him.

if that's not an option, then, tell him he will be given credit, but he needs to fuck off. at this point, it sounds like he's only making negative contribution, so your team will benefit from his departure.

i'm aware that's not what you asked. if, for whatever the reason, you feel responsible for his growth, you really need to ask yourself if you're willing to invest the time and effort, because i don't think you can change someone with a simple motivational speech. he has to respect you enough to actually care what you have to say about his performance.

(and, while this isn't about you... if he's not responding at all to what you have to say, perhaps, you could think about your approach.
e.g. some people, like me, have the tendency to be too argumentative. even if you're right, this is almost never the right approach. well, at least i gave you one way not to do it)

but, that's just my opinion...
Last edited by h on Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prudens quaestio dimidium scientiae...

alex
15lb curler
Enter the middle number in the list(3): 0
No curling in the: curl rack

Re: Any current/ex project managers here?

Post by alex »

h wrote:
(and, while this isn't about you... if he's not responding at all to what you have to say, perhaps, you could think about your approach.
e.g. some people, like me, have the tendency to be too argumentative. even if you're right, this is almost never the right approach. well, at least i gave you one way not to do it)

but, that's just my opinion...
LOL thanks thanks