What 1RM and BW% mean

Any strength & power related training topic (powerlifting, strongman, olympic lifts, etc)
Jonathan
Resident Man-whore
Resident Man-whore

What 1RM and BW% mean

Post by Jonathan »

This is not so much training but rather something I wish to explain. If you are an athlete or a commando or someone who wants to be a flash in a pan, then ignore me. You do want you need to do in order achieve the result required.

1RM means 1 rep max. It is the most weight you can lift for a lift at one time. However, I feel that it is taken too literally sometimes. For whatever reason you are lifting, I assume you want to do so for a long time and become stronger. If that is the case, DO NOT TAKE 1RM LITERALLY.

When you do your 1RM, you should do it with STRENGTH and CONFIDENCE. And you should FEEL GREAT after doing it, KNOWING THAT YOU WILL BE STRONGER NEXT TIME. You DO NOT do 1RM AT ALL COST, and go away FEELING LIKE SHIT.

One rep max is not to be taken literally. Why place such stress on yourself? 1RM is a test to measure your progress. That's all. It's just a number. How do you feel attaining it? Good? Like crap? That's what matters. And also, always remember to take a step back in order to take two steps forward. In training it's called periodization, and there are many explanations on it so I won't elaborate. After achieving a 1RM, admire it for a while then let it go. If you don't, you won't improve, that's the limit you set for youself.

Next, 1RM frequency. Pavel says that beginners should max out every 3 months, experts once a year. He's just saying use your cow sense and don't test yourself too frequently. If you want to have long injury-free training life, then don't worry so much about piling on the numbers. Unless you're 50-ish, you will get stronger every year for as long as you live, what's the rush? If you add 10kg to your big lifts, and say 5kg to the secondary lifts, every year for the next five years, that's a whooping big increase. Stop looking at the next guy and stop fretting about your numbers. It's just numbers. If you have high numbers and thrashed knees or back, do you get a prize? Wouldn't you rather say hey, I haven't had backache for years and I feel great?

Last BW%. Again, it's just a number TO GIVE PERSPECTIVE. You lift a certain load, you don't know if it's light or heavy relative to the average person. BW% gives you an IDEA, for YOURSELF. That's it. Don't take it and bash it on others to lift your ego, or beat yourself for being such a heavyass. It's just a freaking number.

End of rant.

AhBen
15lb curler

Post by AhBen »

That's why I tell Ryan not to max out every week. :wink:

When you see your figures climbing up steadily,you will be tempted to keep adding weight to the bar...but one day,the progression will halt suddenly and you will crash badly.

"Dominate the weight rather than let the weight dominate you."

But I believe it's not a bad thing to test your 3RM or 5RM every 2 weeks.

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps
Enter the middle number in the list(3): 0
No curling in the: curl rack

Post by galapogos »

Well done Jon, this post deserves a

And not in a sarcastic way either.

Jordon
Pro and hardcore

Post by Jordon »

AhBen wrote:That's why I tell Ryan not to max out every week. :wink:

When you see your figures climbing up steadily,you will be tempted to keep adding weight to the bar...but one day,the progression will halt suddenly and you will crash badly.

"Dominate the weight rather than let the weight dominate you."

But I believe it's not a bad thing to test your 3RM or 5RM every 2 weeks.
ya lo. just do force rep can already :P :P

Ryan.carpediem
15lb curler

Post by Ryan.carpediem »

"Dominate the weight rather than let the weight dominate
Right. I've been told the same thing by many people too, and I've come to realize that I should just aim for steady progress in my lifts and events, instead of fretting over 1RM; though it's still something that I'm struggling to reconcile with.

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps

Post by galapogos »

Ryan.carpediem wrote:

"Dominate the weight rather than let the weight dominate
Right. I've been told the same thing by many people too, and I've come to realize that I should just aim for steady progress in my lifts and events, instead of fretting over 1RM; though it's still something that I'm struggling to reconcile with.
Good. No more prawn deadlifts please. Our backs hurt just looking at it, heh.

Oh, and try not to let out a banshee everytime too. It kinda scares the girls away. We wouldn't want that... :)

Weib
Pro and hardcore

Post by Weib »

its all fun and games till someone, slips a disc...then the shit will hit the fan and everyone will just points it to you.. and you have no one to blame but yourself.
Working "hard," or the perception of working hard, doesn't really mean anything. Sweating, vomiting, and breathing hard could be a good workout or a tropical disease kicking in.-Dan John

Jordon
Pro and hardcore

Post by Jordon »

i want a prawn flipside. and ryan, good that u realized that it would be better off steadily having progress. dun be hasty. :D

cos ah i was thinking ah, quite ironic ah, that u dunwan to get injured from rugby, but u lift like that one... but still good that u realize. haha

AhBen
15lb curler

Post by AhBen »

And you can progress by not adding weights,but by adding reps.

Say you do

5 x 100kg-total volume:500

You wanna progress

5 x 105kg-total volume:525kg

or

6 x 100kg-total volume:600kg

Which stresses your muscles more?

525kg or 600kg?

Food for thought. :wink:

Ryan.carpediem
15lb curler

Core

Post by Ryan.carpediem »

AhBen wrote:And you can progress by not adding weights,but by adding reps.

Say you do

5 x 100kg-total volume:500

You wanna progress

5 x 105kg-total volume:525kg

or

6 x 100kg-total volume:600kg

Which stresses your muscles more?

525kg or 600kg?

Food for thought. :wink:
OK. But how does that help the 3 events in terms of specific carryover? :?

AhBen
15lb curler

Re: Core

Post by AhBen »

Ryan.carpediem wrote:
OK. But how does that help the 3 events in terms of specific carryover? :?
What I said is just a general comment.Nothing specific related to events training.

What I am trying to bring across is you can progress by adding reps and sets instead of weight all the time.

hermanchauw
Barbells are my friends

Post by hermanchauw »

Sure. Who do you think is stronger, a person who can jerk Xkg 100 times or 50 times?