Prilepins Chart for periodizing Strength training.

Any strength & power related training topic (powerlifting, strongman, olympic lifts, etc)
Weib
Pro and hardcore
Enter the middle number in the list(3): 0
No curling in the: curl rack

Prilepins Chart for periodizing Strength training.

Post by Weib »

Basically the Russians would take a percentage of your contest max, let's say 70%. Then they assigned reps and sets to this percentage. Then they would have a lifter perform the classic lifts at this percentage. Then they looked at what happens to the speed of the bar, the lifter's form, and their next contest max. From this research they decided what sets and rep schemes would work with a given percentage. For instance, if they had a lifter perform 70% of their contest max they found that if the lifter did 3 to 6 reps per set they would get a positive training result i.e. their form was good, their bar speed was good, and their max went up. They also found that if the lifter only did two reps per set it was not enough and one of several things would happen: there was not enough of a stimulus -- there was not enough weight on the bar -- it would move too fast (kind of like trying to throw a ping pong ball as hard as you can.) Because of this their form would break down. They also found that if they did more than 6 reps per set one of the following would happen
-- Their form would break down from fatigue. They would then in turn be training bad habits
-- The bar would move too slow (if you train slow you become slow.)

The Russian's found that you could do any where from 2 to 8 sets depending on how many reps per set you did. Meaning you could do:
8 sets of 3 (24)
Or
2 sets of 6 (12)
Or
4 sets of 3 (12)
Or
5 sets of 3 (15)

The combinations are nearly endless. Why the broad range? Well, the Russians were the first to realize that not everyone reacts the same to a training program. So if I react better to higher reps I would do 6 reps per set and if you react better to low reps you would do 3 reps per set. Prilipen also knew that in training there will be good days and there will be bad days. If we were scheduled to do 6 sets of 3 but are killing it then keep it going and you can do up to (but not beyond) 8 sets. The same holds true if things are not going your way. You had a rough night of sleep. The kids kept you were up. Whatever the case may be. If you are grinding it out then do only four sets.
Summary by Tim Kontos via Strengthcoach.com
Working "hard," or the perception of working hard, doesn't really mean anything. Sweating, vomiting, and breathing hard could be a good workout or a tropical disease kicking in.-Dan John

Weib
Pro and hardcore

Post by Weib »

fucking russians are geniuses!
Working "hard," or the perception of working hard, doesn't really mean anything. Sweating, vomiting, and breathing hard could be a good workout or a tropical disease kicking in.-Dan John

Bryan
MD, Team Biceps

Post by Bryan »

wads so genius??? abt mix n match of reps n sets and listening to ur body only wad.... den do some experimenting....

The main thing ish, WHATS YOUR GOAL??? :lol:

Weib
Pro and hardcore

Post by Weib »

I can't think of such effective and simple programming that will suit everyone and factoring other variables in, i ish no hulk.. i'm just a lowly trainer.

Bryan
MD, Team Biceps

Post by Bryan »

Weib wrote:I can't think of such effective and simple programming that will suit everyone and factoring other variables in, i ish no hulk.. i'm just a lowly trainer.
chiu ish act pro n hardcore...

Derek
15lb curler

Post by Derek »

I remember reading an article from Poliquin titled "The Five Elements" at Testosterone Nation, where he used the five elements paradigm from Chinese Culture to illustrate the types and forms of training that an individual would respond best to. He was lambasted for these ideas though, but I think they are useful as a guide in determining the training prowress of a trainee.
Work Smart, Work Hard, and Kick Ass.

Skinny twig... Time to bulk up!

Bryan
MD, Team Biceps

Post by Bryan »

be original, come out with your own routine....although it takes a longer time....

These coaches are like Naruto kage bunshin no jutsu....They have many pple to experiment on....
So they gain knowledge faster...

Derek
15lb curler

Post by Derek »

What's that chinese saying? Something along the lines of "To follow is easy, to create is 10 times as difficult."

But to create, you must first understand and know as much as possible. :)
Work Smart, Work Hard, and Kick Ass.

Skinny twig... Time to bulk up!

Bryan
MD, Team Biceps

Post by Bryan »

Derek wrote:What's that chinese saying? Something along the lines of "To follow is easy, to create is 10 times as difficult."

But to create, you must first understand and know as much as possible. :)
tts wad experience is all about....

Weib
Pro and hardcore

Post by Weib »

nothing to invent la, anything you can think of has already been invented.. just have to innovate and make the process better..

Don't have to reinvent the wheel, just make it turn faster!

In the world of performance enhancement and physique training, nobody cares how you get there...
Whatever you do is just a means to an end, novelty is no needed as long as it works.

Bryan
MD, Team Biceps

Post by Bryan »

Weib wrote:nothing to invent la, anything you can think of has already been invented.. just have to innovate and make the process better..

Don't have to reinvent the wheel, just make it turn faster!

In the world of performance enhancement and physique training, nobody cares how you get there...
Whatever you do is just a means to an end, novelty is no needed as long as it works.
sollie...my ang mo lousy....pls keep it simple...haaa

Weib
Pro and hardcore

Post by Weib »

means nobody gives a shit if you got the latest knowledge from the best coaches, as long as it works can liao even how outdated it is.

People are more interested in how much faster your training program can get to their goals.

Bryan
MD, Team Biceps

Post by Bryan »

Weib wrote:means nobody gives a shit if you got the latest knowledge from the best coaches, as long as it works can liao even how outdated it is.

People are more interested in how much faster your training program can get to their goals.
ooo...wanna slim down easy....inject them with an aids needle...haha...Wanna be huge?? Put silicon lor...haha

Weib
Pro and hardcore

Post by Weib »

chiu happy can riao =)