help needed for training routine/diet

Any strength & power related training topic (powerlifting, strongman, olympic lifts, etc)
Ryan.carpediem
15lb curler

help needed for training routine/diet

Post by Ryan.carpediem »

Hi guys, on ben's advice, I decided to request for some help in devising a training routine.
My goals are:
strength for strongman( front squat, DL, clean pull? )
upper body size

after my injury, i'm currently quite confused about what to do...after my bench and pullup seem to have stalled....the only plan i have is to try to add 5kg to front squat and DL...every week...so far tt has worked...for a while...so my last lifts were 5x3 75kg for front squat, 3x3 85kg, 90kg, 90kg for DL. Good form.

for upper body, i'm quite hooked by the idea of 10x3 or 10x5 cos it's both low reps which i like and volume seems quite high...for size and strength...but other than tt i dunno what I should do...diet/nutrition wise..it's even worse....i'm having too many cheat meals...
:?
hope u guys can give me 2 cent's worth

thanks
Last edited by Ryan.carpediem on Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Weib
Pro and hardcore
Enter the middle number in the list(3): 0
No curling in the: curl rack

Post by Weib »

what are your weakness and which one is more important?
Why is it important and when do you need to achieve it by?
In your opinion, what is your ideal plan - nutrition/training and why are you cheating?

Think through all this and come back with an answer - you have no idea what you want/ what you're doing or what your real goal is.

Focus and reflect.
Working "hard," or the perception of working hard, doesn't really mean anything. Sweating, vomiting, and breathing hard could be a good workout or a tropical disease kicking in.-Dan John

Sufian
Pro and hardcore

Post by Sufian »

Strength for Strongman, and upper body size. Hmm. Ben is the correct person to devise a routine for u.
"the more u sweat in training, the less u bleed in battle"
Click below for free tabata timer...
http://www.speedbagforum.com/timer

Canuck eh
Pro and hardcore

Post by Canuck eh »

You're confused because you keep asking for too many opinions from too many people. Since there are strongmen in the forum, listen to the bodybuilder :P (and ask the strongmen), then be honest to yourself, whoever's giving you advice and the program and give it time to see results and evaluate.

AhBen
15lb curler

Post by AhBen »

Weib wrote:what are your weakness and which one is more important?
In your opinion, what is your ideal plan - nutrition/training and why are you cheating?

Think through all this and come back with an answer - you have no idea what you want/ what you're doing or what your real goal is.

Focus and reflect.
Listen to this,Ryan.

This is good advice...

Ryan.carpediem
15lb curler

Post by Ryan.carpediem »

Weib wrote:what are your weakness and which one is more important?

Focus and reflect.
Hm when you say come back with an answer, I hope you meant tt you expected my reply. Well I've thought about it and these are the answers:

Main weakness would be my log walk event for strongman I guess, which translates into core strength(can't walk) and grip...and lower body strength.

It's important because my goal is to complete all events in strongman. regardless of how i place after that, well, I will still be happy that I could complete 3 events....even though I'm technically underage and at a light BW. Also, it's probably going to be the last time I'm going to pursue maximal strength without looks because after feb 22nd, I want to start dieting/cutting for 2.4 NAPFA...i believe the conditioning work and fat losss will help me to achieve visible abs.

For now, I just hope to gain more muscle with minimal fat gain...as much as I can before 22nd feb. I believe this muscle/weight gain will help me strength levels to increase faster and more steadily too.

IMO, the ideal nutrition plan is to do carb cycling...whereas for upper body mass training I am not sure. I believe the reason why I'm cheating is because I'm not clear of how to achieve my goals.

That's about it. Hope you don't mind giving me your 2 cent's worth.

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps

Post by galapogos »

I don't mean to burst your bubble ryan, but at your current strength/conditioning level, and if your performance last Saturday was anything to go by, completing the farmers walk at the competition this year is gonna be one tall order. Not discouraging you to compete, so by all means compete even if you can't complete, just for the experience. But just do your best. Don't pressure yourself to die die have to complete even if it means breaking your back. Give it your best shot, but you know your body best. Don't bring it over the brink of injury.

Ryan.carpediem
15lb curler

Post by Ryan.carpediem »

galapogos wrote:I don't mean to burst your bubble ryan, but at your current strength/conditioning level, and if your performance last Saturday was anything to go by, completing the farmers walk at the competition this year is gonna be one tall order. Not discouraging you to compete, so by all means compete even if you can't complete, just for the experience. But just do your best. Don't pressure yourself to die die have to complete even if it means breaking your back. Give it your best shot, but you know your body best. Don't bring it over the brink of injury.
haha you're right...well if cannot compete at least try on the actual day lor..at most forfeit or something.

But don't worry, no rounded back/prawn lifting for me anymore. The risk to benefit ratio is just not worth it.

Sufian
Pro and hardcore

Post by Sufian »

Ryan.carpediem wrote: IMO, the ideal nutrition plan is to do carb cycling...whereas for upper body mass training I am not sure. I believe the reason why I'm cheating is because I'm not clear of how to achieve my goals.
Lots of people cheat on their so-called diets. There will always be the temptation to just let go and cheat, especially on dieting. My advise is... plan your cheat days and meals properly. With scheduled cheating, u will have a clearer picture on dieting.

Whatever u do, give it at least 16 weeks before u give up. Thats about 4 months. After that, if there is no transformation, then u know that the diet does not work for u. If u give up way before that, then don't blame the diet. Whatever the diet is.

Weib
Pro and hardcore

Post by Weib »

As charles staley aptly put it - Do what is important first that is weak.

Unless you have a coach to supervise your training all the way, its hard to give you concrete advise.

If you think your ideal plan is the best for you then go ahead and do it.. if you fail, ask yourself why. If you succeed build on your success.

Stop being fickle minded and wanting the best and most perfect program - there is no such thing. Always evaluate/reconsider and give it time for it manifest itself.
Working "hard," or the perception of working hard, doesn't really mean anything. Sweating, vomiting, and breathing hard could be a good workout or a tropical disease kicking in.-Dan John

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps

Post by galapogos »

Ryan.carpediem wrote:
galapogos wrote:I don't mean to burst your bubble ryan, but at your current strength/conditioning level, and if your performance last Saturday was anything to go by, completing the farmers walk at the competition this year is gonna be one tall order. Not discouraging you to compete, so by all means compete even if you can't complete, just for the experience. But just do your best. Don't pressure yourself to die die have to complete even if it means breaking your back. Give it your best shot, but you know your body best. Don't bring it over the brink of injury.
haha you're right...well if cannot compete at least try on the actual day lor..at most forfeit or something.

But don't worry, no rounded back/prawn lifting for me anymore. The risk to benefit ratio is just not worth it.
Great!

AhBen
15lb curler

Post by AhBen »

How about this?

Mon-overhead press
Tue-off
Wed-strongman
Thur-off
Fri-deadlift
Sat-accessories
Sun-off

Well,this is a bit too advanced maybe...

How about a more basic one

Mon-full body(deadlift)
Tue-off
Wed-strongman
Thur-off
Fri-full body(squat)
Say-accessories
Sun-off

Sufian
Pro and hardcore

Post by Sufian »

This seems a good plan. Ryan, take this up, and thank Ben for the help.

AhBen
15lb curler

Post by AhBen »

Ultimately you might have the best plan,the best coaches,the best equipment but if you wanna slack off during training,cut corners,do the barest minimum and don't wanna put in effort...no point also... :roll:

Someone who displays histrionics don't mean he is putting in effort though it may seem to be the case to others...
Last edited by AhBen on Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps

Post by galapogos »

I don't think Ryan is the kind who slacks. If anything he needs to learn to take it easy more :)