Going Deeper into the Deadlift with Mark Rippetoe

Any strength & power related training topic (powerlifting, strongman, olympic lifts, etc)
galapogos
GM, Team Biceps
Enter the middle number in the list(3): 0
No curling in the: curl rack

Going Deeper into the Deadlift with Mark Rippetoe

Post by galapogos »

Good read.

Part 1
Part 2

Ryan.carpediem
15lb curler

Re: Going Deeper into the Deadlift with Mark Rippetoe

Post by Ryan.carpediem »

just a clarification i need from you guys. I recall reading in this article http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/51 ... adlift.pdf ( scroll down to the last page) some time ago when mark rippetoe said the bar has to be touching the shins in a correct starting position for the DL. i've always tried to follow tt and wondered if tt'sthe reason why I seem to be using too much of my back to pull the weight.

now he seems to have revised his stand to advocate positioning the bar over the middle of the foot.

Which is correct? :?

Derek
15lb curler

Post by Derek »

The bar should always be over the middle of the foot, which will ensure that when you pull, the bar comes up in a straight line alongside your shins. Flexibility and mobility is key here in ensuring that the movement is performed in this optimal manner.
Work Smart, Work Hard, and Kick Ass.

Skinny twig... Time to bulk up!

Sufian
Pro and hardcore

Post by Sufian »

When u stand up and look down, the bar seems to be over the middle of the foot. OR somewhere at the shoelace area. When u bend down to get to starting positionand starting to pull it up, the shin will touch the bar.

IF u use too much back, then squeeze your butt more, and keep your chest up.
"the more u sweat in training, the less u bleed in battle"
Click below for free tabata timer...
http://www.speedbagforum.com/timer

AhBen
15lb curler

Post by AhBen »

Ryan.carpediem wrote:just a clarification i need from you guys. I recall reading in this article http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/51 ... adlift.pdf ( scroll down to the last page) some time ago when mark rippetoe said the bar has to be touching the shins in a correct starting position for the DL. i've always tried to follow tt and wondered if tt'sthe reason why I seem to be using too much of my back to pull the weight.

now he seems to have revised his stand to advocate positioning the bar over the middle of the foot.

Which is correct? :?
Just keep the bar touching your shins,it's the shortest way up.

And...you're not tall/do not have long femurs to be a back dominant deadlifter.If you want an example of long femurs relative to the torso,look at Jon Boey.

Most probably,your quads,hamstrings and glutes are weak,that's why you need to overcompensate by using your back.(but you're not alone in this...a lot of people have this problem as well)

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps

Post by galapogos »

He did not revise his stance. Bar is about over midfoot when the bar touches the shin during setup. Your shins aren't completely vertical(though it's close).

If you're using your back, most probably you're leaning too far forward and/or the bar is away from your body already. Sit back more and bring the CoG closer to your body. Remember, Rippetoe's revelation is that the scapula should always be over the bar. This means shoulders slightly forward. Everything else will fall into place.

h
Pro and hardcore

Post by h »

it may be as simple as his ass flying up before the bar comes off the ground.

we could suggest to sam that we work on techniques, etc, and simply get more reps in instead of going for PR every x-weeks...
prudens quaestio dimidium scientiae...

AhBen
15lb curler

Post by AhBen »

h wrote:it may be as simple as his ass flying up before the bar comes off the ground.

we could suggest to sam that we work on techniques, etc, and simply get more reps in instead of going for PR every x-weeks...
Yeah,the next time we do deadlifts again,I'll have a revision of the technique and go through any other useful pointers.

Ryan.carpediem
15lb curler

Post by Ryan.carpediem »

h wrote:it may be as simple as his ass flying up before the bar comes off the ground.

great idea.

aaron
15lb curler

Post by aaron »

hahaha you guys must be dreaming! no prs, get out of TIB la hahaha :supz:

Ryan.carpediem
15lb curler

Post by Ryan.carpediem »

galapogos wrote:He did not revise his stance. Bar is about over midfoot when the bar touches the shin during setup. Your shins aren't completely vertical(though it's close).

If you're using your back, most probably you're leaning too far forward and/or the bar is away from your body already. Sit back more and bring the CoG closer to your body. Remember, Rippetoe's revelation is that the scapula should always be over the bar. This means shoulders slightly forward. Everything else will fall into place.
Thanks.

So I shd still touch the bar with my shins...before liftoff?

When you say sit back more, I presume you're referring to the eccentric portion of the lift?

Ryan.carpediem
15lb curler

Post by Ryan.carpediem »

aaron wrote:hahaha you guys must be dreaming! no prs, get out of TIB la hahaha :supz:
There's no reason why we should be compromising form and risking injury in the process in order to get a PR. Look at the risk-to-benefit ratio. lol..coming from someone who learnt this lesson the hard way,not to mention, too late.

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps

Post by galapogos »

Ryan.carpediem wrote:
galapogos wrote:He did not revise his stance. Bar is about over midfoot when the bar touches the shin during setup. Your shins aren't completely vertical(though it's close).

Thanks.

Yes
When you say sit back more, I presume you're referring to the eccentric portion of the lift?
The eccentric is just the exact same motion as the concentric done the other direction, so body positioning should be exactly the same.

AhBen
15lb curler

Post by AhBen »

aaron wrote:hahaha you guys must be dreaming! no prs, get out of TIB la hahaha :supz:
Nah,I also don't do 1RM anymore,go for 3RM,5RM and volume PRs nowadays. So far so good. :D
Ryan.carpediem wrote:
Thanks.

Next time I show you exactly when he means.