Metabolic & conditioning training topics
alex
15lb curler
Enter the middle number in the list(3): 0
No curling in the: curl rack

The 'Lion's Den' try outs

Post by alex »

Tryouts

Historically, The Lion's Den is known for its brutal try-outs because once accepted into the Den, the members would live in Ken's home having their food provided by Shamrock. Ken needed to make sure only the best got through. The try out consisted of the following:

500 squats
200 push ups
200 sit ups
Sprints while carrying a man of near equal weight on their back
2-mile (3.2 km) run with a man of equal weight on your back
Repeated runs up and down bleacher steps
Bear-crawls up steep hills
Lugging heavy barrels of water and sand bags up steep hills
The candidates who were still left at this point would then go on to do as many pull-ups as they can without stopping.

From there, the candidates went to the actual Lion's Den facility for several hours of sparring. Shamrock wanted fighters that could get through this ordeal without quitting, even after their body had failed on them. It was at this point, when the candidate was still trying even long after their muscles had failed, that Shamrock knew he had a Lion's Den member on his hands. The Lion's Den tryouts have even been criticised for their level of brutality. [1]

Currently, The Lion's Den conducts tryouts by showcasing fighters' skills in a series of drills and live competition put on by Ken Shamrock. The new tryout format allows Ken to evaluate toughness and skill, while making cuts to determine who he wants to represent the Den

xarope
Pro and hardcore

Re: The 'Lion's Den' try outs

Post by xarope »

alex wrote:Sprints while carrying a man of near equal weight on their back
I'd hate to be the man being carried... see below...
alex wrote:2-mile (3.2 km) run with a man of equal weight on your back
I've run a klick before in the army whilst solo casevac'ing a buddy; at least, it felt like 1 klick (perhaps my head exploding into fine mist precluded accurate calculation of how far I had run), before my buddy then took over and I realised how painful it is to be carried that way!

h
Pro and hardcore

Re: The 'Lion's Den' try outs

Post by h »

sounds like a scene from forrest gump.
prudens quaestio dimidium scientiae...