Metabolic & conditioning training topics
galapogos
GM, Team Biceps
Enter the middle number in the list(3): 0
No curling in the: curl rack

Crossed Up by CrossFit

Post by galapogos »

Crossed Up by CrossFit

Great article from T-Nation about Crossfit. Another undercover report.

The salient points
1. The system clearly has value, but how much value depends on your goals. As a one-stop fitness and conditioning system, CrossFit is an excellent choice. The workouts are challenging and competitive, and jack up the heart rate deceptively fast. The fact that they rely upon basic, functional lifts is a plus as well.

2. My absolute favorite thing about CrossFit is that it forces people to work hard. A lot of lifters don't work nearly as hard in the gym as they think they do.

3. No matter what anyone tells you, you'll never get truly strong doing CrossFit. Sure, you might get stronger than you are now, but if maximal strength is your goal, keep shopping. If you don't believe me, email Dave Tate and ask him what his Fran time is.

4. You won't get bigger doing CrossFit, which could be absolutely fine if your goal is fat loss or overall conditioning. But you might look bigger, if you have a lot of muscle beneath your fat and CrossFit helps you burn the fat off.

5. Mixed martial artists and military personnel — especially members of elite special-forces units — should definitely do something a lot like CrossFit. There are probably ways to make it more specific to their needs as athletes and warriors, but the idea is exactly right for what they do.

6. Many bodybuilders could benefit from occasional CrossFit workouts. The system is so challenging, and so different from traditional paradigms, it might be a perfect shock to someone in the body-part-training rut. Plus, for those in a cutting phase, one or two CrossFit workouts a week could be a great fat-loss tool.

7. The random program design doesn't make long-term training sense. As noted by Alwyn Cosgrove in the earlier TMUSCLE article, potential overexposure of the shoulder joint to frequent heavy loads and high volumes is a real concern. While hardcore CrossFitters may scoff, I'd like to check back with them after a few more years of CrossFitting.

8. The notion of CrossFit slop is potentially injurious, especially for those new to Olympic lifts. I just can't think of a good justification for it.

9. A Quarter Pounder with Cheese is shit, no matter how Zone-friendly its macros turn out to be.

xarope
Pro and hardcore

Re: Crossed Up by CrossFit

Post by xarope »

Just read it. The author did mention in the discussions section, though, that the McD 1/4lb was considered an "emergency" food source choice, versus a regular. Although I'd be tempted to be aghast as well, I've been caught out in places like India before, where I had a choice of eating dubious food which would likely make me sick as a dog, or eating at KFC/McD.

And no guesses that I chose the latter - ok ok so 99% delhi belly versus sticking to a "zone" diet is not exactly the same in terms of consequences...

I have noticed that CF WODs have started including a lot more ME stuff than before.

I agree 110% with (2).

As for (4) (you can't get bigger doing CF), I think, as with a lot of BW type activities (MMA etc), that it will get you quite close to your "natural" potential. E.G. if you are a skinny casual runner/cyclist/swimmer, doing CF will get you fitter, stronger, and most likely a better <whatever> as well, at a heavier BW.

CF "slop" is a whole 'nother kettle of fish. I generally agree in principle with CF's take on the matter, i.e. sub-maximal loads with a met cond perspective. In practice, the numerous WOD videos leave much to be desired; ego generally takes over, and I see that happening in our 300 workouts too.

I prefer Sonnen's take on progression, where you can downgrade the movement to a safe but still effective version.

[edit] Perhaps it's not ego per se, but that with sub-maximal loads the person knows they can afford to be lax, and so they are, especially in WODs for time; I'd prefer if their form was good enough for 80% of reps, as opposed to 80% good enough form, i.e. their form starts off good and trails off 80% into the workout. But if their form is bad 20% into the WOD, the supervisor should terminate or downgrade their weights as appropriate[/edit]

KEVIN LIM
Mr T

Post by KEVIN LIM »

INteresting read, at least this guy is making sense unlike most before him.
Constant Variant, Functional Movements executed at high intensity eliciting in an increased work capacity across broad time and modal domains........
The sceince is in the Programme, the magic is in the Movements

Canuck eh
Pro and hardcore

Post by Canuck eh »

You haven't been drinking your Kool-aid!

Written based on the Canadian experience, of course he makes sense... 8)

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps

Post by galapogos »

Canuck eh wrote:You haven't been drinking your Kool-aid!

Written based on the Canadian experience, of course he makes sense... 8)
Poliquin's Canadian too, no? :)

xarope
Pro and hardcore

Post by xarope »

And on another plus point, I think I've died and gone to heaven (source: http://www.crossfitfootball.com/page/in ... de&id=1736)

Great depth on the pushups, squats could be a touch lower. I think I should volunteer my training services.

Kevin? Kevin? I can't understand what you're saying, I think you are drooling too much...

Some of the WODs are pretty interesting too, KC would like them (the WODs, that is).

M.Hunter
Pro and hardcore

Post by M.Hunter »

I <3 rest days!
Squats can only strengthen, tear or break something. Strengthening, tearing and breaking is totally awesome. Thus squats are awesome.

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps

Post by galapogos »

Would be interesting comparing this to JDF type workouts.

Where did you get the sample workouts? I didn't see any?

xarope
Pro and hardcore

Post by xarope »

Hmm, are you still trying to read the jersey numbers on the picture? :mrgreen:

Just on the main page, http://www.crossfitfootball.com/index.php

e.g.:
Complete 5 rounds for time:
Squat Max Reps (225lbs or BW if heavier)
7 Burpee Box Jumps 24"

e.g.:
21, 15, 9
Push Press 135 lbs *amateur scale to 75 lbs*
Ring Dips
Burpee
Calorie Row (I assume this means row till you hit 21 calories, 15 calories etc)

e.g.:
Complete 7 rounds of the following:
Deadlifts 225 lbs
Box Jumps 24" box
*Perform as many reps as possible in 15 seconds and rest for 45 seconds. 1 full round is equal to 15 seconds of deadlifts with 45 seconds rest and 15 seconds of box jumps with 45 seconds rest.
Post total number of reps to comments.

e.g.:
As many rounds as possible in 15 minutes:
1 Round is equal to:
3 Power Cleans 185 lbs
3 Rounds of 5 Pull Ups, 10 Push Ups, 15 Air Squats or 3 rounds of "Cindy"

They have a nice calendar on the RHS panel.

KEVIN LIM
Mr T

Post by KEVIN LIM »

I have the stack of WODs from them, any one of it is enuff to crush me.
Constant Variant, Functional Movements executed at high intensity eliciting in an increased work capacity across broad time and modal domains........
The sceince is in the Programme, the magic is in the Movements