Session at the track or stadium

"We have char bors"
Sufian
Pro and hardcore

Session at the track or stadium

Post by Sufian »

Read about this training for triathletes. It seems that they took it from the crossfit site too. Not sure what workout this is.

15 burpees, 100m run, 1 pull-up, 100m run
14 burpees, 100m run, 2 pull-up, 100m run
13 burpees, 100m run, 3 pull-up, 100m run
12 burpees, 100m run, 4 pull-up, 100m run
11 burpees, 100m run, 5 pull-up, 100m run
10 burpees, 100m run, 6 pull-up, 100m run
9 burpees, 100m run, 7 pull-up, 100m run
8 burpees, 100m run, 8 pull-up, 100m run
7 burpees, 100m run, 9 pull-up, 100m run
6 burpees, 100m run, 10 pull-up, 100m run
5 burpees, 100m run, 11 pull-up, 100m run
4 burpees, 100m run, 12 pull-up, 100m run
3 burpees, 100m run, 13 pull-up, 100m run
2 burpees, 100m run, 14 pull-up, 100m run
1 burpees, 100m run, 15 pull-up, 100m run

Do it for time.

Best thing is, it is designed such that you start your burpees 100m away from the pull-up bar. It will fit in nicely.

How? I think this will be good.

total 120 burpees, 120 pull-ups, 3000m run.

Vote for this?
"the more u sweat in training, the less u bleed in battle"
Click below for free tabata timer...
http://www.speedbagforum.com/timer

Weib
Pro and hardcore
Enter the middle number in the list(3): 0
No curling in the: curl rack

Post by Weib »

not many people will last..4 rounds.
Working "hard," or the perception of working hard, doesn't really mean anything. Sweating, vomiting, and breathing hard could be a good workout or a tropical disease kicking in.-Dan John

Sufian
Pro and hardcore

Post by Sufian »

its not a race against others. As long as the individual don't give up, he will complete the whole torturous event. Haha.

Alternatively, we can scale the workout down. Maybe do it for 10 rounds.

I really think this is worth our time doing together, as the support that everyone needs to complete the event is tremendous.

If I were to do it myself even, I think I would give up halfway. But, with moral support and encouragement from the team, this can be done.

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps

Post by galapogos »

Last time I tried just regular 100m HIIT I didn't last more than 6 rounds, and that's sprinting alone. Add in the other stuff and I'll probably be dead after 3.

Weib
Pro and hardcore

Post by Weib »

I don't think it'll be a good idea..
End of the day your chins will suffer and result in cheating and bad form..With this kind of load there is no way you can do it properly without kipping.

If you want to add it in as a finisher of burpees and sprints, it'll be cool for 3-4 rounds..

Have to scale it down and modify it..
Working "hard," or the perception of working hard, doesn't really mean anything. Sweating, vomiting, and breathing hard could be a good workout or a tropical disease kicking in.-Dan John

xarope
Pro and hardcore

Post by xarope »

If people are worried about too much load, we can split it up like the way gymjones does their IWT workouts, e.g.

14 burpees, 100m run, 2 pull-up, 100m run
13 burpees, 100m run, 3 pull-up, 100m run
11 burpees, 100m run, 5 pull-up, 100m run

rest 5 mins

10 burpees, 100m run, 6 pull-up, 100m run
8 burpees, 100m run, 8 pull-up, 100m run
7 burpees, 100m run, 9 pull-up, 100m run

rest 5 mins

5 burpees, 100m run, 11 pull-up, 100m run
4 burpees, 100m run, 12 pull-up, 100m run
2 burpees, 100m run, 14 pull-up, 100m run
1 burpees, 100m run, 15 pull-up, 100m run

Although not strictly IWT of course since we are not doing athletic lifts then "aerobic" exercise after.

Weib
Pro and hardcore

Post by Weib »

maybe just pegg the chins and burpees - to 5.
Acceding - descending.. 1 burpee to 5 chin up etc.

Just a thought.

jerry.mobbs
15lb curler

Post by jerry.mobbs »

or

thats 45 burpees and 35 pull ups rather than 120!!!!

even louis could finish this without a band

xarope
Pro and hardcore

Post by xarope »

I'm just wondering, what's the burpees in aid of, unless they are the jumping/clapping form, otherwise with the sprints we already have the dynamic hip movements, and more so with rotational core stability...

Weib
Pro and hardcore

Post by Weib »

its more of a horizontal BW thruster to me imo.

Sufian
Pro and hardcore

Post by Sufian »

Does not feel like a thruster at all to me.

I think the burpees do great to wipe out the upperbody as well as lower body strength, especially when doing these kind of routines.

jerry.mobbs
15lb curler

Post by jerry.mobbs »

xarope wrote:I'm just wondering, what's the burpees in aid of, unless they are the jumping/clapping form, otherwise with the sprints we already have the dynamic hip movements, and more so with rotational core stability...
C'mon phing

Segmented training leads to segmented capacity

Mr Enigma
Barbells are my friends

Post by Mr Enigma »

galapogos wrote:Last time I tried just regular 100m HIIT I didn't last more than 6 rounds, and that's sprinting alone. Add in the other stuff and I'll probably be dead after 3.
i did the same some time back and lasted 6 rounds too. but I haven't done any speed training for ages before that so it was expected..

sufian, we are not triathletes man, do we need to do that much? the 100m runs will become 100m jogs, lol. I think phing is the only triathlete here right..

i like jerry's one. short and quality over quantity.

Sufian
Pro and hardcore

Post by Sufian »

well, we don't need t do the exact routine, although I am sure I will give it a shot as soon as my fasting month is over and I have enough water in me so as not to get dehydrated.

I have a spot for this kind of training, ever since my rugby days. Train together, cry together, laugh together. Haha

And, these are not actually exercises for triathletes. The triathletes chose to do this exercise. Since we gonna have a track to use, then might as well do this. And, the last few 100m runs will be damn slow, thats for sure. Many of us would surely have thought of giving up way before that. But, when you go through this together, the camaderie will be formed.

i really miss my rugby days. Sans the shoulder dislocations and the lacerations on my face.

xarope
Pro and hardcore

Post by xarope »

jerry.mobbs wrote:or

thats 45 burpees and 35 pull ups rather than 120!!!!

even louis could finish this without a band
from our previous workout videos, most people struggle to do more than 6-8 good pullups, I would bet good money that apart from Sufian and myself, nobody else in the group can do 15 strict pullups.

I really feel that our first few workouts needs to concentrate on improving that capacity (whether by kipping or doing strict), as that seems to be the major limiting factor in workouts like 300 (25+25 pullups).

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps

Post by galapogos »

I can do 15 strict pullups when I'm relatively fresh. It's around my max though. Doing it when coupled with other stuff? Not possible for me at this point.

Twxian
Pro and hardcore

Post by Twxian »

i can do 15 kipping ones... :oops: strict ones not very sure maybe can when on form

xarope
Pro and hardcore

Post by xarope »

jerry.mobbs wrote:
xarope wrote:I'm just wondering, what's the burpees in aid of, unless they are the jumping/clapping form, otherwise with the sprints we already have the dynamic hip movements, and more so with rotational core stability...
C'mon phing

Yes, but just wondering what else could be used in place of burpees that might be more effective; considering if we do the sprints right it should be a major lower body explosive movement, burpees would actually degrade that capacity, so I was thinking some sort of upper body push movement instead, either clapping pushups or HSPUs (although I can already feel my head bursting from the effort of sprints and then inverting!).

jerry.mobbs
15lb curler

Post by jerry.mobbs »

xarope wrote:
jerry.mobbs wrote:
C'mon phing

Yes, but just wondering what else could be used in place of burpees that might be more effective; considering if we do the sprints right it should be a major lower body explosive movement, burpees would actually degrade that capacity, so I was thinking some sort of upper body push movement instead, either clapping pushups or HSPUs (although I can already feel my head bursting from the effort of sprints and then inverting!).
which is the 'conventional' way of thinking...

some workouts you should match the movements in the way you suggest

but every now and then you should just throw in a killer combo such as the above or say 3 rounds for time, 400m run + 50 airs squats

that way you develop the ability to work across a broad range of domains or something like that

nature or sport may require that you have that work capacity

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps

Post by galapogos »

I'd say the majority of our workouts should be based on the "conventional" way of thinking. I don't think we've yet reached a point of conditioning where we need to be throwing random shit at our bodies. IMHO focus should still be on maximizing what we get out of the workout.

As Jerry likes to put it, power output would be a quantifiable way of doing that. If we throw in too many exercises that stress the same movements/muscle groups/joints, fatigue would set in, lowering speed, hence lowering power output. If we alternate between various exercises, this speed reduction is reduced or delayed, hence increasing power output. That's one of the reasons why all current "300" workouts have these pairings, and are done in 2-4 rounds to keep the reps of each exercise lower.

Sure, once in a while we gotta fuck ourselves up with something random, but I think we've already done that twice so far with the gymjones "300". I'd say our fuckup quota has been met for the next couple of months :)

jerry.mobbs
15lb curler

Post by jerry.mobbs »

galapogos wrote:I'd say the majority of our workouts should be based on the "conventional" way of thinking. :)
i think we agree then

'most' CF wods have a conventional approach eg Fran or Helen or Cindy

Mark Twight has a SMMF workout, or single movement mind F,,k, such as 100 BW deadlifts, nice to throw in once in a while....

But not for every day, otherwise you will exceed recovery capacity

xarope
Pro and hardcore

Post by xarope »

jerry.mobbs wrote:which is the 'conventional' way of thinking...

some workouts you should match the movements in the way you suggest

but every now and then you should just throw in a killer combo such as the above or say 3 rounds for time, 400m run + 50 airs squats

that way you develop the ability to work across a broad range of domains or something like that

nature or sport may require that you have that work capacity
I'm all for crazy sh*t, after all I run 8km with a 20lb pack and then do heavy deadlifts/squats, but most of the guys are nowhere near that sort of work capacity, so I can see that after round 1 burpees and sprints degenerating into some crappy earthworm move and jogs, which defeats the whole purpose of doing burpees and sprints per se.

Personally I think after round 5 I too would also be taking way too many rest breaks in order to maintain good form!

We need a structured way to do this, maybe 3 weekends of conventional style workout targetting the skills and intensity required, leading up to week 4's workout where we go crazy e.g. this workout or 300 etc.

Sufian
Pro and hardcore

Post by Sufian »

That is good. I am all for this progressively harder shit.

Jordon
Pro and hardcore

Post by Jordon »

This is not easy, 120 pullups.... i do 100, alr toh huay.
i can kip well >20 but eh.... strict :oops: :oops: about 11-12 when i feel good?

Sufian
Pro and hardcore

Post by Sufian »

power.. u manage it. In 45mins?

Jordon
Pro and hardcore

Post by Jordon »

25.25 :D

i told myself 5x5 x4...

but become 5x5 x2
singles anddoubles for 50.

have to admit, last few singles were not very strict. but okay lah. try to improve on form and timing next round. plan to do on sunday.

ahah one guy was running when i was doing it, he ran for rounds and rounds around the block

Jordon
Pro and hardcore

Post by Jordon »

and btw, i hate rings now

Weib
Pro and hardcore

Post by Weib »

actually ah we don't have to plan a work out..
we could do a structured training.

If you want to do some speed work then we can just train some speed work taking turns having rest and continue.

once a month you can have a big circuit to test..That way it'll be better.

Trying to put in so many trait within one session will not lead to anywhere..
If you want speed then work on speed, pulling then work on pulling..
One lower body and one upper body per session is feasible..

xarope
Pro and hardcore

Post by xarope »

you could argue that most MA and athletic training will work on all aspects, but concentrate on a very few as you mention.

But none will concentrate on just a very few and ignore everything else. So yes, I agree if we want to concentrate on speed work, then concentrate on speed work, but adding other things that will not detract (except during the "crazy" workouts tm).

I wouldn't want to do a workout that just does sprints ad nauseum, then pullups/pushups ad nauseum.

You really need to give up this idea that you can only train one thing at a time, it's totally infeasible and impractical... even for professional athletes.

Weib
Pro and hardcore

Post by Weib »

Not really doing specifically speed work and pulls per se but the combination of burpees in the mix with sprints and pulls up is not going to help anything but a plethora of bad form and weird movement.

Put the sprints and burpees towards the end and work on it alone to develop the energy system while doing a full body work out with chins and pushups together as another set alone.

Mixing it together would result in burpees being a limp frog movement, chin ups being jumping ones and sprints being jogs then it'll be quite pointless.

So it depends on how you structure it to reap the best results -
I'm thinking
Strength - core,upper,lower- push pull movement.
Rest
Energy system work - Sprints, burpees

Depends on what you want to achieve, a crazy workout that's extremely hard or a structured training to improve over strength and conditioning in a sound progressive manner.

If you can can do 15 chin up kipping then try to aim for 15 chin up strict.
If you can do 15 strict then strap on some weights etc..
thats what i meant for concentrating on a particular trait.