Lazy Bugger's Guide on how to Lose Fat

Training to look good naked
Jonathan
Resident Man-whore
Resident Man-whore

Lazy Bugger's Guide on how to Lose Fat

Post by Jonathan »

I've been thinking of writing this for some time now, and since I'm losing fat yet again, I might as well do so now. This is not a detailed instruction manual on how to get ripped, there is someone else here who is obviously much more qualified at that. I'll be listing down all my fat-loss experiences, the results and my observations. From there, I will list down changes I have made as well as recommendations. Of course, these recommedations only apply to the laziest buggers like me who like to eat a lot. The entries may seem weird sometimes, but I'm not going to write grandma stories, just the facts.

Duration: Aug 2000 - Nov 2000, always been fat
Training: Obese BMT
Diet: Anything and everything, mostly rice
Results: 90kg to 75kg, looked "fat-slim"
What did I learn?
Losing fat takes time. Training can compensate for lousy diet, but only if you train 3 times a day like army.

Duration: Nov 2001 - Dec 2001, fatted up again while injured
Training: None
Diet: Only small portions of green vegetables
Results: 88kg to 62kg, looked like a POW
What did I learn?
You can lose a lot of fat by not eating anything, but you will lose all your muscle as well. And you look like crap.

Duration: May 2005 - July 2005, increased muscle mass doing barbells, but fatted up as well
Training: HOC, PHA, Descending Sets (Basically KB workouts designed by Mahler for fat-loss, they work very well for me)
Diet: Anything and everything
Results: 85kg to 74kg, muscular slim but no visible abs
What did I learn?
Having more lean muscle mass lessens time taken to lose fat. Workouts with weights helps prevent loss of muscle mass.

Duration: May 2006 - July 2006, increased muscle mass doing barbells, but fatted up as well
Training: HOC, PHA, Descending Sets (Basically KB workouts designed by Mahler for fat-loss, they work very well for me)
Diet: Anything and everything
Results: 86kg to 78kg, muscular slim but no visible abs
What did I learn?
Didn't know what's wrong with diet, but I knew I didn't have the complete picture.

Duration: May 2007- June 2007, tried out OPT's fat loss program, only one month because already doing PTTP halfway
Training: PTTP
Diet: As per OPT, lots of meat and veggies, fish oil, no to everything else
Results: 78kg -77kg, visible abs
What did I learn?
Diet plays a very important part. But still didn't realise I was carb-sensitive. Didn't have much energy to train either.

Duration: Jan 2008 - March 2008, was fatting up for Strongman 2008 but didn't join
Training: Tabatha on Exercise Bike
Diet: As per OPT
Results: 88kg - 82.5kg, obviously slimmed down, but still looked fat
What did I learn?
Duration plays an important part. 4-min workouts sound nice in theory, but I don't think it's good enough.

Duration: March 2009 - ???, slimming down from Strongman 2009
Diet: As per OPT, but eating small amounts of carbs once a week and cutting down on portion sizes
Results: 98kg - 88kg (April 2009)
What did I learn?
Drastic reduction of carbs necessary, but not eating any gives you no energy to train. I think portion sizes also matter, will report when finished.

So taking everything I've learnt...

Losing fat takes time. Training can compensate for lousy diet, but only if you train 3 times a day like army.
You can lose a lot of fat by not eating anything, but you will lose all your muscle as well. And you look like crap.
Having more lean muscle mass lessens time taken to lose fat. Workouts with weights helps prevent loss of muscle mass.
Diet plays a very important part. But still didn't realise I was carb-sensitive. Didn't have much energy to train either.
Duration plays an important part. 4-min workouts sound nice in theory, but I don't think it's good enough.
Drastic reduction of carbs necessary, but not eating any gives you no energy to train. I think portion sizes also matter, will report when finished.

... well, you get the idea it seems to be rather complicated. Let's simplify it further...

TIME - EXPECT 3 to 4 MONTHS
DURATION - HAS TO BE LONG ENOUGH, I THINK 10 - 15 MINUTES ACCORDING TO INTENSITY
DIET - KNOW WHICH FOODS MAKE YOU FAT, WATCH PORTION SIZES, EATING CLEAN IS PARAMOUNT
TRAINING - WEIGHTS TO INCREASE MUSCLE MASS AND BURN FAT FASTER, WEIGHTS TO PREVENT MUSCLE LOSS

I don't have any information on supplements or 5-6 meals a day, this is simply the lazy bugger's guide to losing fat. At least now you can try what works and not waste your time on what doesn't.
Last edited by Jonathan on Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

alex
15lb curler
Enter the middle number in the list(3): 0
No curling in the: curl rack

Re: Lazy Bugger's Guide on how to Lose Fat

Post by alex »

Nice write up there. :mrgreen:

Ryan.carpediem
15lb curler

Post by Ryan.carpediem »

Jonathan wrote: Duration: Sep 2001 - Dec 2001,
Duration: May 2007- June 2007, tried out OPT's fat loss program, only one month because already doing PTTP halfway
Training: PTTP
Diet: As per OPT, lots of meat and veggies, fish oil, no to everything else
Results: 78kg -77kg, visible abs
What did I learn?

What did I learn?
fantastic article. What do u mean you were carb-sensitive? Carb tolerant or intolerant?

Steph_Parker
Pro and hardcore

Post by Steph_Parker »

interesting read up over here.
Beauty may only be skin deep, but lethal is to the bone.

keithzhoulw
I smith quarter squat 5 plates a side!
Enter the middle number in the list(3): 3

Post by keithzhoulw »

NPNT ah .hehee ..there a very imortant factor that most has negelct.. determination to push on until u see result
New website http://www.thesupplementboutique.com - Supplement will not burn a hole in your pocket again

i-herb code discount code : LIH793 ( US$5 off any purchase )

Jonathan
Resident Man-whore
Resident Man-whore

Post by Jonathan »

alex wrote:Nice write up there. :mrgreen:
Steph_Parker wrote:interesting read up over here.
Thanks.

Ryan.carpediem wrote:fantastic article. What do u mean you were carb-sensitive? Carb tolerant or intolerant?
Simply put...

Sensitive - eat regularly, get fat really fast
Tolerant - eat regularly, nothing much happens, portion sizes must be observed however, grade and quality of food also counts
Intolertant - can eat, but you may feel bloated, listless, uncomfortable, etc a few hours later
Allergic - eat already, body reacts immediately, reaction can be minor to life threathening

keithzhoulw wrote:NPNT ah .hehee ..there a very imortant factor that most has negelct.. determination to push on until u see result
Who the FUCK are you?

hermanchauw
Barbells are my friends

Post by hermanchauw »

Jonathan wrote:Duration: Jan 2008 - March 2008, was fatting up for Strongman 2008 but didn't join
Training: Tabatha on Exercise Bike
Diet: As per OPT
Results: 88kg - 82.5kg, obviously slimmed down, but still looked fat
What did I learn?
Hahahaha, i remember this.

The effect can be seen very fast.

h
Pro and hardcore

Post by h »

Jonathan wrote:Results: 88kg to 62kg, looked like a POW
What did I learn?
hahahaha, shit, i can't stop laughing for some reason.
the best post in awhile.
prudens quaestio dimidium scientiae...

Sufian
Pro and hardcore

Post by Sufian »

8 weeks more, I will be checking in to see the 6 pack.

And, u farker...i think your workouts rule!!
"the more u sweat in training, the less u bleed in battle"
Click below for free tabata timer...
http://www.speedbagforum.com/timer

Jordon
Pro and hardcore

Post by Jordon »

the workouts meaning the PHA and all those?

Sufian
Pro and hardcore

Post by Sufian »

no lah...

he always use KB to work out.

Yesterday he introduce to me the jerk.
Then did the swings+jerk circuit. My ass was owned.

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps

Post by galapogos »

Jerk is not that hard what. It's easier than the press. But like Jon said, once you move up the weights, you will no longer be able to get away with your crap form :finga:

Jordon
Pro and hardcore

Post by Jordon »

oh that one ah, the one with the 100m jog? i haven't tried that haha

Sufian
Pro and hardcore

Post by Sufian »

galapogos wrote:Jerk is not that hard what. It's easier than the press. But like Jon said, once you move up the weights, you will no longer be able to get away with your crap form :finga:
silent biter ah....

hahaha

Jerk is not hard on the shoulders at all. Its the part where your breath gets knocked out in tandem, that makes it so kick ass. At least for me lah. I newbie.

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps

Post by galapogos »

Ya it's more metabolically expensive. That's why whenever I can during 300, I always do press instead of jerk for the 16-20kg C+J. Coz jerk will make me slower. Of course if we start doing clean+jerk with 24kg or above then I will pang chek with presses very fast.

Sufian
Pro and hardcore

Post by Sufian »

well, honestly yesterday was the first time i do jerks. Kicks my ass big time.

Jonathan
Resident Man-whore
Resident Man-whore

Post by Jonathan »

Don't worry lar Sufian, once you get the hang of it, you'll love it. I think it's better for your shoulders too.

Anyway, for those who wish to see my super duper secret training log, it's here. http://kbforum.dragondoor.com/blogs/jonathan-boey/
I've been using it since 2005, and since it's in a blog format with dated entries I can easily input info and access past workouts to compare and see how much I've improved or slacked.

Anyway, for those too lazy to read, my workouts are:

Road Work
20 high swings
Jog 100m
10 jerks per side
Jog 100m

This is 1 round. Work up to 4 rounds. Too easy use heavier bell or work up to 8 rounds, myself I prefer to use heavier bell. Jog really means jog, it's for recovery, you run you die, you will see why. For me I jog <50m, because I jog slow and I don't want to cheat myself by super slow jogging 100m, it'll defeat the purpose. The 100m is just an estimate, the recovery time is around 20-30 seconds, yes I bother to time it because it matters, so find a distance that you can jog around in a circle or two within 20-30 secs.

PHA AKA Peripheral Heart Action if you must know the full scientific pro and hardcore name
All double kb
5 press
rest
6 bent-over rows
rest
10 front squats
rest
8 swings
rest

This is 1 round. Work up to 5 rounds. Start with 1min rest, then 45 secs, 30 secs, 15 secs, then 0. If don't have 2 bells, too bad lor. KB should be 16kg at most. 2 16s is very siong already once you hit 15 secs or no rest, so don't go and try 2 24s.

Descending Sets
All double swings, numbers refer to reps

15, rest, 15, rest, 12, rest, 12, rest, 10, rest, 10, rest, 8, rest, 8, rest, 6, rest, 4

100 double swings altogther. Start with 1min rest, then 45 secs, then 30 secs, then 15secs. You can try no rest and die. Too easy use heavier bells. Be careful towards the end, especially at the 10 rep range when probably you feel like you want to die, because if you bloody do fuck-up swings with two bells your back will feel it the next day, trust me. If you can't swing shoulder level because you're tired, swing lower, save your back. Watch your knees too, don't let them collapse in or bow out.

For Road Work and PHA record your timings and manipulate rounds, rest times, kb weight according to your periodization. Descending Sets is quite rigid, just adjust rest times and kb weight, don't bother doing faster. I know some don't have two bells, solly lor.

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps

Post by galapogos »

I shall try the PHA with 2x16(I only have 2x16) once I'm not sick...row is also double handed? Swing is russian or overhead? Maybe can use it for 300...except double handed KBs will need a lot of equipment...

Jonathan
Resident Man-whore
Resident Man-whore

Post by Jonathan »

Yeah, double bent-over row. Swing up to shoulder level enough. Sia lar, you want to overhead two kbs go ahead, like that I'd rather do double snatch.

Do for 300, other than the logistics, better warn them not do fuck-form.

Sufian
Pro and hardcore

Post by Sufian »

That time at BBQ, did Road Work with Jon and Alex...kicked my ass badly.

Today I did PHA, using 2 X 16kg KBs, 15s rest, 5 rounds total... 10:28 min. This is no joke. Took my Heart Rate throughout using heart rate monitor... All the way rising... until 160. Power lah... long time never hit 160.

Gonna do the other one sometime soon...

Thanks Jon. Whatever it is, standby to treat me makan at Newton. I also preparing to buy u burgers... Cause after doing PHA, my abs more defined liau. Should have same effect on u.

Jonathan
Resident Man-whore
Resident Man-whore

Post by Jonathan »

Thanks Sufian, glad you liked the workouts! I don't know about the abs, I'm just trying to keep my lungs from bursting, lol.

Jonathan
Resident Man-whore
Resident Man-whore

Post by Jonathan »

For those who want to try Descending Sets, here's a sample Descending Sets workout I did on 040509 and recorded for fun. I'll be posting the others as and when I can. Sorry hor, my video can only record up to 3mins, that's why so many vids required.

Descending Sets 2x24kg, 15, 15, 12, 12, 10, 10, 8, 8, 6, 4, 30 seconds rest per set
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vM55NLVjLI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBXU-nn3A-0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VvRQONbscY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWphcEtVwyI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTls4gC6N8s

Used to be my limit workout last year, now it's moderately hard. Take note of the neutral grip and bent elbows, this allows the legs to be placed closer for stronger faster swings and for better control, it's a really bad idea to have one of these things smash into your legs or worst of all your knees.
Last edited by Jonathan on Fri May 08, 2009 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KEVIN LIM
Mr T

Post by KEVIN LIM »

Jonathan wrote:For those who want to try Descending Sets, here's a sample Descending Sets workout I did on 040509 and recorded for fun. I'll be posting the others as and when I can. Sorry hor, my video can only record up to 3mins, that's why so many vids required.

Descending Sets 2x24kg, 30 seconds rest per set
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vM55NLVjLI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBXU-nn3A-0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VvRQONbscY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWphcEtVwyI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTls4gC6N8s

Used to be my limit workout last year, now it's moderately hard. Take note of the neutral grip and bent elbows, this allows the legs to be placed closer for stronger faster swings and for better control, it's a really bad idea to have one of these things smash into your legs or worst of all your knees.

u r sick.
Constant Variant, Functional Movements executed at high intensity eliciting in an increased work capacity across broad time and modal domains........
The sceince is in the Programme, the magic is in the Movements

hermanchauw
Barbells are my friends

Post by hermanchauw »

Double swings! Crazy.

vicvic
Pro and hardcore

Post by vicvic »

fucking sick. nicely done

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps

Post by galapogos »

pro n hardcore, but how come arms are bent one?

Jonathan
Resident Man-whore
Resident Man-whore

Post by Jonathan »

galapogos wrote:pro n hardcore, but how come arms are bent one?
Jonathan wrote: Take note of the neutral grip and bent elbows, this allows the legs to be placed closer for stronger faster swings and for better control, it's a really bad idea to have one of these things smash into your legs or worst of all your knees.

Jonathan
Resident Man-whore
Resident Man-whore

Post by Jonathan »

Decided to consolidate everything here. Anyway, my four month (total 17 weeks) fat loss phase is over, I'm tired but happy. Didn't get a 6-pack, but I'm sexy again lol. Anyway here's a summary...

Starting March, 98kg (didn't take a starting photo, that's just me holding up my pants, but seriously I was wearing size 40 then)
Image Image

2nd Week May (down to size 36)
Image Image

2nd Week of June, weight is now 86kg (sorry, I foolishly coverted the photos after resizing them, so quality is bad)
Image Image

June 18th, workout pump
Image Image

June 19th, no workout pump (down to size 34)
Image Image Image

Needless to say, I don't look much different now then from a week ago, so that's that. Weight dropped from 98kg (beginning March) to 86kg (taken 2nd week June). Maybe I'm 84 or so now, I don't really care, fat loss is the goal not weight loss. Size 40 to 34 says it all. And muscle loss was minimal, I don't know how to measure that, but I can see there're still there.

Anyway, Aaron was asking about my diet. It's basically low-carb high protein, and not that clean either.

Basically from Months 1-3, small amount of carbs once a week, rest of the time lean meat and veggies, some fish oil. Nothing else. Two meals a day, portion sizes until satisfied not stuffed full, morning just drink Nutrisoy. Had to eat out often, just bought lean meat and veggies from chai peng stalls. Not the best plan, but well, whatever.

Month 4, working hours for my morning shift changed from 645-1545 to 445-1545, because since Circle Line opened first train launches at 0530. Afternoon is 1530-0030. Basically my rota is work 7 days, rest 2 days, work 7 days, rest 2, work 7, rest 3, rotating morning and afternoon per week. And that's not including OT. So you can see, totally fucked up for dieting. And it was the last month. So what did I do? The fucking V-Diet. Yup, anti-protein powder Jon did the V-Diet. Looking at the new working hours, didn't have a choice. Besides, only a month to go before I go on course again, so might as well just try the fucking V-Diet. I would really like to thank Man Yu for his 80% casien 20% whey plan he posted in HWZ. I followed that and it worked, 1 1/2 scps casien, 1/2 whey. I love Casien now, I really do. Anyway, I did the fucking V-Diet with no thermogenics of course. I lasted only 3 weeks 3 days before succumbing and ate some chicken. First adjusting wasn't that bad, second and third no problem, last week was really tough. Anyway, slowly going back to normal diet. From the photos it doesn't look like much of a change, but my colleagues were quite impressed and two of them are doing it now (because they already train and are already ard at most 15% bf).

Got to go to work now. Been real busy.

vicvic
Pro and hardcore

Post by vicvic »

fucking well done bro :clap:

galapogos
GM, Team Biceps