Page 2 of 2

Re: Sep 12

Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:36 am
by xarope
ok 5pm TPY

Re: Sep 12

Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:54 pm
by xarope
WOD "columbia"
21-15-9 of:
pullups
1H walking lunges (total, not each leg) w/16kg KB overhead
ring dips
KB snatch w/16kg

Times:
Sufian 6:40 (?)
Phing 12:00
Goi 13:30 (?)

finisher; core work:
20:10 secs work:rest
8 rounds front plank
4 rounds side bridge alternate each side
50 bicycle

Re: Sep 12

Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:11 pm
by Sufian
Phing, I am not that fast bro... mine was 6:46 min

On a side note, I think doing the 300 is giving me a boost on my cycling. Dont know why.. but the ride home was only 24mins, compared to the 33mins on the way to toa payoh... with an average of 40 on most flats, top speed of 58kmph on one of the flats after a descent, and an average of 30kmph on the climbs.

Maybe 300 should be done before every group ride, so that i can pull the rest of my friends throughout. Maybe it was the core finisher. what do u think? Any similar experience Phing or Keith?

Re: Sep 12

Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:23 pm
by xarope
OK 6 seconds slower (!!!).

Hmm, not sure, Sufian. Maybe you got hyped up for the trip home?

Re: Sep 12

Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:13 pm
by Sufian
Maybe I was trying to reach home before dark since i was wearing shades...

but i think i will try it again tomorrow.

Re: Sep 12

Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:40 pm
by Canuck eh
speed difference, is it in terms of perceived effort to attain the higher speeds or is it simply coming one way is into a headwind and slightly uphill and the return trip is the opposite? If it is in terms of perceived effort, I don't really have an answer.

On a side note, I've never averaged 40kph on trips or 30kph climbs (those are virtually pro speeds, though mind you for much longer distances and climbs). IIRC my last long ride I took (~80k with a couple of 8% climbs and some rolling hills) was averaged 28-29kph. That you're a full 15kg lighter than my riding weight in those days I'm sure helps a little in terms of power/weight though that is typically a non-issue on flats...

Re: Sep 12

Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:16 am
by Ketua
Sorry for not being able to join you guys for the WOD


But, in the name of Spartans' spirit, I attempted on my own.

The result is, ... didn't complete. :(

Too weak to do all the ring-dip. May be have not been doing downwards-push for 2 weeks (incl 1 week flu).

Otherwise, I did everything else (and a bit more), including the finisher.

Re: Sep 12

Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:54 am
by xarope
Canuck eh wrote:On a side note, I've never averaged 40kph on trips or 30kph climbs (those are virtually pro speeds, though mind you for much longer distances and climbs). IIRC my last long ride I took (~80k with a couple of 8% climbs and some rolling hills) was averaged 28-29kph. That you're a full 15kg lighter than my riding weight in those days I'm sure helps a little in terms of power/weight though that is typically a non-issue on flats...
I've always been able to ride faster in singapore (albeit at 2am in the morning, pesky traffic lights) than in OZ; it's the lack of wind, and the generally better roads.

[edit] then /= than, sigh... must be reading too much singlish [/edit]

Re: Sep 12

Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:59 am
by xarope
Ketua wrote:Sorry for not being able to join you guys for the WOD


But, in the name of Spartans' spirit, I attempted on my own.

The result is, ... didn't complete. :(

Too weak to do all the ring-dip. May be have not been doing downwards-push for 2 weeks (incl 1 week flu).

Otherwise, I did everything else (and a bit more), including the finisher.
Good job, Bruce. Never mind about the DNF, more importantly you tried.

Should've seen Goi's last few ring dips, talk about floppy fish... :P

Re: Sep 12

Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:38 am
by galapogos
Guilty as charged.

In my defense, I haven't done any upper body push for a long time. The closest being 2 push press workouts the last 2 weeks!

Re: Sep 12

Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:15 am
by xarope
My pullups were abysmall, couldn't chain together more than 6 at a time; and it was all grip issues. Doing pullups after snatch is not a good thing.

FYI for others reading, due to lack of equipment, I went with dips->snatch->pullups-<lunges to try to avoid clashing with Goi; whilst Sufian the speed demon waited till we were done with the first round of 21 reps, then blitzed past us in a blaze of smoke.

Re: Sep 12

Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:21 am
by Canuck eh
I'll pass on doing this on my own, lats are a little sore from doing BW+E pull-ups while waiting at HKG on Saturday morning.

Will get back to the gym today to see where I'll reset to before getting back into the full 5/3/1 swing of things next week.

Re: Sep 12

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:57 pm
by Sufian
The round island trip (160km) with my group of guys, we average 32kmph. But, honestly when pulling in front, each one of us maintained 36 to 38kmph.

I am certainly no pro in cycling, I have seen riders blitzing past me whenever i ride. On my Tuesday and Thursday training rides in a peloton, the front people try to maintain 38kmph to 42kmph. Dependent on who is in front lah.. For me, I can maintain 38 no problem, but can only last less than a kilometre when trying to maintain 41kmph. Albeit, my training rides are only 45km from start point of peloton to back.

But honestly, I realise that i ride better after doing plank and bridge holds. (Core workouts) Anyway, not aiming to be faster, just want to enjoy cycling.